Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 Films Releasing Hex - 88 Asia Line

Watched BLACK MAGIC for the first time this weekend. When I watched it I wasn't aware of any issues nor was I looking to critique the transfer, so I ended up being very pleased with the presentation. Whatever issues exist weren't noticeable to me.

The film was okay. Like many SB films I've watched, it started strong but I was ready for it to end well before the credits rolled.

I'm only now learning of the German Shaw blus existence. What is the consensus of their quality? Are there reviews around and/or a master list of what's available? I assume 88 films can only release so many of these so I'm now considering grabbing some of the German ones too providing quality is good enough for upgrades of some of those awful Image dvds and the like.

Fucking Oily Maniac is dated for 7/10/17!!!!!

Name:  17626120_880804832062162_7865268986538974536_n.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  51.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post

Nice! Already up for pre-order at Amazon UK. Btw, I knew KILLER CONSTABLE would be popular & the slipcase edition is already out of stock. Glad I picked mine up when they offered free worldwide shipping.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Good stuff. At least its something new and not a re-gurgitaton of something already available in Germany. Keeps the flame alive for something like the Black Tavern to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post

Very Nice, I have over 350 SB titles in my collection and this is one I don't own, the dvd went out of print and is quite scarce, I asked on their FB page if it's possible to release LOST SOULS one of my favorite films that's a non-martial arts film. Apparently there is no hi-def master of the film available

OILY MANIAC is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Good stuff. At least its something new and not a re-gurgitaton of something already available in Germany. Keeps the flame alive for something like the Black Tavern to be released.
    Agreed. I'd like to see 88 tackle another Kuei Chih-Hung flick next with KILLERS ON WHEELS since the German isn't English friendly but I'd settle for the WIP BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS too.

Btw, off topic but TVP will be releasing CHALLENGE THE DRAGON aka THE WAY OF THE TIGER on blu ray later this year. It will have an English audio track. I remember the dub being pretty laughable but oh well, it certainly adds to the charm of these old school chop socky flicks. I have the Code red dvd somewhere where it is double billed with NEEDLE AVENGER and it was pretty watchable all things considered. The fights were certainly plentiful if nothing else.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

From FB:

88 Asia kicks into overdrive with our next two classics!

Danny Lee (THE KILLER) played one of cinema's most unlikely superheroes in THE OILY MANIAC (1976) - a Shaw Brothers creature-feature classic that is only now gaining a much-deserved premiere in the UK! In this gooey gem of a monster-mash, Lee plays a Hong Kong everyman who has been crippled and is down-on-his-luck - that is, until he learns of a spell that can turn him into a transformative and transmorphing pile of ferocious but malevolent mush. Yes, he is THE OILY MANIAC - and in this Cantonese predecessor to Troma's THE TOXIC AVENGER, he is able to appear and re-appear at will, making it all the more tricky for his arch-enemies to dillute his delirious brilliance. Directed by the prolific Meng Hua Ho (THE FLYING GULLOTINE), this is one Far Eastern B-movie masterpiece that deserves to be seen and appreciated in full HD!

Next up...

Director Meng Hua Ho (THE BLACK ENFORCER/ THE OILY MANIAC) crafted one of the most important and influential kung-fu films of all time with the 1975's THE FLYING GULLOTINE. Inspiring later directors all across the Asian straits (including the celebrated Taiwanese spin-off MASTER OF THE FLYING GULLOTINE), this original model is as brutal, bloody and bombastic as they come! Headlining the legendary Kuan Tai Chen (THE MASTER/ HERO OF SHANGHAI) in his defining role as an enforcer with a unique and deadly weapon - this period-set bout of beheading and plasma-spillage remains one of the greatest martial arts movies ever made. Fans of classic chopsocky action have been begging for THE FLYING GULLOTINE to return to British shelves, and thanks to the 88 Asia collection it is back in action - restored and remastered in HD!

Extras - commentaries by Bey Logan, booklets by Asia-based academic Calum Waddell and, yes, we might just offer a slipcover.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

From FB:

Hong Kong horror was rarely more atmospheric than 1972's THE BRIDE FROM HELL! The clue is in the title of this seriously sinister ghost story, as a hapless new husband comes to find out that he has become involved in a beautiful young lady who brings new meaning to the term 'out of this world'. Yes, he has become hitched to a spectre - but the plot twists do not stop there, with a horrifying revelation and a quest for revenge soon to turn his life upside down!

With a cast that features the timeless screen allure of of Margaret Hsing Hui (THE FIVE BILLION DOLLAR LEGACY), THE BRIDE FROM HELL is finally unleashed in HD from the Oriental terror-loving lunatics at 88 Films!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!