Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scream Factory / Arrow Releasing Carpenter's The Thing

This was posted on FB yesterday:

We have even more for you to get excited about regarding our upcoming Blu-ray release of THE THING: More Bonus Features!
    Although we announced most of the extras awhile back, we are thrilled to highlight an all-new Carpenter interview conducted by Director and horror vet Mick Garris! Read on for even more surprises too...

DISC ONE:
    - NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
    - NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
    - NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
    - NEW Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
    Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
    - Teaser Trailer
    - Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
    - TV Spots
    - Radio Spots
    - Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)

- DISC TWO:
    - NEW Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
    - NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis
    - NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
    - NEW Behind The Chameleon: The Visual Effects Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle
    - NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
    - NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
    - NEW Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
    - NEW The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery
    - John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock Plus Members Of The Cast And Crew (80 minutes – SD)
    - Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
    - Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
    - Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin
    - Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING
    - Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
    - Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
    - Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (54 minutes – SD)

National Street Date is 9/20/16. But if you order directly from us at
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/the-thing-collector-s-edition you'll receive early shipping + a free poster (while supplies last)
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    - NEW Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
    So, we gonna get grumpy disinterested asshole John or engaged John?

Arrow release coming in Oct.

THE ULTIMATE IN ALIEN TERROR

Over the years, star Kurt Russell and master of horror John Carpenter have teamed up on a multitude of films (Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York to name a few) but of all their collaborations, 1982 s horror/sci-fi amalgalm The Thing surely tops the list.

A research team based out in the snowy wilds of Antartica find themselves beseiged by a terrifying, shape-shifting creature which has found its way into their base. When it becomes clear that the creature can take the form of any organism it so chooses, the tension within the team reaches breaking point any one of them could be... The Thing.

Critically panned at the time of its release, John Carpenter s The Thing has rightly gone on to become one of the most celebrated sci-fi horror efforts ever made now newly restored by Arrow Video in a stunning 4K transfer supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
    High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
    Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
    1982: One Amazing Summer an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
    John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape archive documentary on the background and production of the film
    Vintage Featurettes
    Outtakes
    Behind-the-Scenes
    Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
    Still Galleries
    Poster
    Lobby Cards
    Book containing new writing on the film

Name:  DEs_VJKWAAEhiq9.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  54.6 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ltd. Ed. steelbook option as well.

Name:  DEs_w35W0AQ1HkD.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  82.7 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Posted from 07/16: "NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey"

Would that have been the same as the Scream Factory release?

Anyone think the 4K of the OCN will be a big upgrade over the S.F. transfer to warrant buying another copy? I kind of want to, that is, if I don't have to pre-order & Diabolik gets them in stock.

Wonder how they managed to get the OCN for a new scan & Scream could not? Is that because of the U.S. rights owners?

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    It is apparently indeed a brand spanking new 4K OCN scan, at least that's how I've understood it. Signed off by both Carpenter and the DP, whatever that's worth. I will buy this, no doubt, but probably wouldn't if I already had the Shout. Never upgraded The Thing to blu and still have an ancient non-anamorphic DVD, so for me it's a no brainer.
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig

Arrow store up again after onslaught of sweaty nerds looking to buy The Thing broke it all day long. Had to put in my order, despite an Arrow sale around the corner (with double points for all pre-orders). I'm probably paranoid, but I really don't wanna miss out and 4000 doesn't seem like a whole lot considering what a fan favourite this is.

Store back up after being down all weekend, both editions sold out. Real tears on the bluray forum. Hope Arrow increase the volumes of this, as they clearly underestimated demand.

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Arrow store up again after onslaught of sweaty nerds looking to buy The Thing broke it all day long.
    Those sweaty nerds are a real problem. And they are very stupid too which makes them even more dangerous. Blu-ray.com has a lot to answer for. I can only hope the blu ray market implodes in the near future.

By the way, the only things exclusive to this "L/E" are a book, poster and lobby cards. I.e. junk. So i will wait for the regular version.
    Last edited by Bogart; 07-16-2017 at 05:14 AM.

I kind of like the bluray market of today, to be honest. Less interest from the studios means boutique labels get easier access to their catalouge titles, meaning lovingly created editions for us sweaty nerds to get in our greasy palms. What I don't like is the scalpers and OCD bunch buying up limited editions with no intent to cherish the films themselves, just to resell or obsess over dents in the packaging. Other than that, the current bluray market is nowhere near the dystopia I envisioned a few years back, quite the contrary. We are living in enthusiast paradise right now, let's hope the market stays afloat for outfits like Arrow and Camera Obscura.