Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Netflix Series - Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by Quot View Post
    It was ok, as a pastiche of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, and all 80's genre films.

However, that was one of the worst acted series in recent memory. I sure don't understand all the praise it's received.
    Sadly, I have to agree. It was an ok pastiche, as you say. But it is to cliché to really work, and the kids are all pretty much godawful actors. I thought we were past that nowadays, with all the good childrens actors that have popped up recently, but apparently that was not the case.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I enjoyed it, but don't feel it warrants the HOLY FUCKIN SHIT!!! vibe that it's getting online. It was okay. 80's Stephen King/Spielberg mashup as has been said, and that's really about it.

It made me want to watch FIRESTARTER again.

I've always had a softspot for FIRESTARTER, the film and book. Film is a bit too close to a TV movie in feel but it has an appropriately gonzo and creepy performance from Scott.

Four episodes in, so I guess that's the half way mark? Enjoying it so far, but yeah, it's not nearly the life changing expierence so many have made it out to be. It's fun, but it's really and truly does just throw a lot of more original works into the blender. I really like the music in the series though and it's fun to catch all the nerdy little references here and there.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I get the hype. I liked it a lot. Yeah it's stealing from everywhere but it's not trying to hide that. It's very much a Stephen King story and one of the characters at one point describes something as being like "out of a Stephen King book" so it's got nothing to hide. It is easy to steal but the trick is to put it together into something that's new. I think this show does that. To me it's another example of how damned good tv is these days. How many actual Stephen King adaptions are even decent? This one starts fresh and pulls off a really fun story.

I'm looking forward to series 2 anyway though I'm kind of surprised they're sticking with the same cast. I would have thought a Fargo-esque reinvention each year would be the way to go as this story feels done but who knows? Maybe they've got some good tricks up their sleeves.

I'm really enjoying it. I love "kid horror" like Monster Squad and The Gate and stuff like that so this is right up my alley. And yeah, I love all the 80s references!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I'm looking forward to series 2 anyway though I'm kind of surprised they're sticking with the same cast. I would have thought a Fargo-esque reinvention each year would be the way to go as this story feels done but who knows? Maybe they've got some good tricks up their sleeves.
    Having now finished it, I kind of agree. I think a Fargo style reinvention would give the series more legs. Regardless of where they go from here, I enjoyed the last half of the eight episodes a fair bit more than the first four. They did a good job of building suspense and developing the characters. There was a bit more CGI than I would have liked (kind of took away from the 80s feeling a bit here and there, but I also admit a bias in that dept!) but the effects and set design were really good. Quite slick looking. As was noted earlier, some of the performances are hit and miss but overall I thought that the cast was pretty good. That kid who played Eleven was really good.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Next season?

Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

Someone put a lot of work into this.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._glossary.html

Some spoilers there if you haven't finished the series.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Lot of serious reaching in there.