Thread: Cinelicious Releasing Funeral Parade Of Roses

Cinelicious Releasing Funeral Parade Of Roses

Dig it.

"Cinelicious Pics and actor Elijah Wood’s production company SpectreVision will restore and re-release Toshio Matsumoto’s Japanese queer cinema classic “Funeral Parade of Roses.” A loose adaptation of “Oedipus Rex” set in the gay underground of 1960’s Tokyo, the film follows a group of transgender people as they travel through a largely unseen world of drag bars and nightclubs, fueled by booze, drugs, fuzz guitar, performance art and black mascara."

More here:

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/cin...to-1201701376/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Elijah Wood continues to impress me with his taste and with the ambition of his production company.

LOL at "hard to find" & "long unavailable"...the OOP MoC dvd is still readily available for a reasonable price. I wish some of Matsumoto 's experimental & shirt films saw the light of day instead. I remember Cultcine put together a nice compilation before they ceased operating.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Cinelicious is putting out some pretty interesting Japanese films between this one and "Belladonna of Sadness." I have a grey-market copy of Matsumoto's samurai film "Demons" and was impressed by that one as well. I'm looking forward to this coming out on Blu Ray even though I have the earlier DVD. Not exactly "lost" but I welcome the re-release.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    LOL at "hard to find" & "long unavailable"...the OOP MoC dvd is still readily available for a reasonable price. I wish some of Matsumoto 's experimental & shirt films saw the light of day instead. I remember Cultcine put together a nice compilation before they ceased operating.
    Yeah, there's a little bit of hyperbole there but if it helps these guys keep digging up oddities for Blu-ray release, I'm fine with it. Like Marker28 said, they've got some interesting stuff slated.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This just popped up on Blu-ray.com.

Coming 11/14/17.

"Long unavailable in the U.S., director Toshio Matsumoto's shattering, kaleidoscopic masterpiece is one of the most subversive and intoxicating films of the late 1960s: a headlong dive into a dazzling, unseen Tokyo night-world of drag queen bars and fabulous divas, fueled by booze, drugs, fuzz guitars, performance art and black mascara. No less than Stanley Kubrick cited the film as a direct influence on his own dystopian classic A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. An unknown club dancer at the time, transgender actor Peter (from Kurosawa's RAN) gives an astonishing Edie Sedgwick/Warhol superstar-like performance as hot young thing Eddie, hostess at Bar Genet where she's ignited a violent love-triangle with reigning drag queen Leda (Osamu Ogasawara) for the attentions of club owner Gonda (played by Kurosawa regular Yoshio Tsuchiya, from SEVEN SAMURAI and YOJIMBO). One of Japan's leading experimental filmmakers, Matsumoto bends and distorts time here like Resnais in LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, freely mixing documentary interviews, Brechtian film-within-a-film asides, Oedipal premonitions of disaster, his own avant-garde shorts, and even on-screen cartoon balloons, into a dizzying whirl of image + sound. Featuring breathtaking black-and-white cinematography by Tatsuo Suzuki that rivals the photographs of Robert Mapplethorpe, FUNERAL PARADE offers a frank, openly erotic and unapologetic portrait of an underground community of drag queens. Whether laughing with drunken businessmen, eating ice cream with her girlfriends, or fighting in the streets with a local girl gang, Peter's ravishing Eddie is something to behold. "She has bad manners, all she knows is coquetry," complains her rival Leda but in fact, Eddie's bad manners are simply being too gorgeous for this world. Her stunning presence, in bell-bottom pants, black leather jacket and Brian Jones hair-do, is a direct threat to the social order, both in the Bar Genet and in the streets of Tokyo. A key work of the Japanese New Wave and of queer cinema, FUNERAL PARADE has been restored in 4k from the original 35mm camera negative and sound elements for this 2017 re-release.

Special Features:
    New 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
    8 newly remastered avant-garde short films by Toshio Matsumoto
    Audio commentary by Chris D.
    U.S. Theatrical Trailer
    Original 1969 Japanese Theatrical Trailer
    New essay by Hirofumi Sakamoto, Director of the Postwar Japan Moving Image Archive"

Name:  81lOSOrnmUL._SL1440_.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  41.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Wow, the short films are an excellent addition for those of us who have the MoC and are on the fence on upgrading.

EDIT:
    But did Kubrick really say this was an influence? I thought I read he hadn't seen this until after he made Clockwork, and that the, rather shallow, similarities were a coincidence.
    Last edited by enandalusiskhund; 09-07-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

Trailer!

According to a rep who posts at Blu-ray.com, the shorts will be:

- nishijin
    - the song of stone
    - ecstasis
    - metastasis
    - expansion
    - mona lisa
    - siki soku ze ku
    - atman
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)