Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Woods / Blair Witch (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Uhm, Cannibal Holocaust?
    Even before that, you've got the likes of MEDIUM COOL, Peter Watkins' work (eg, THE WAR GAME) and of course the mondo movies themselves (especially ADDIO ZIO TOM).

When did THE LAST BROADCAST get released? Was that before or after BLAIR WITCH? I seem to remember watching both at about the same time.

I remember seeing the first BLAIR WITCH PROJECT in an almost empty cinema, probably one of the first UK screenings, before the hype machine hit, and in the last reel the audio (roundabout when we see Heather's snot bubbles) was cranked up to 11. The sheer volume was disorientating, and I remember leaving the cinema with a pounding headache and my teeth set on edge. It was a pretty heart-pounding experience, and the film haunted me on my long bus journey home. Then it became a massive thing, and when I revisited it on DVD a year or so later, I struggled to place myself in the same position I had been when I saw that cinema screening.

I still think, however, that Joe Berlinger's short 'documentary' 'The Burkittsville Seven', which pays homage to THE TITICUTT FOLLIES, tops the original BLAIR WITCH and most of the 'found footage' horror films that ensued.

The best of the batch of found footage films that came out in the 2000s is, for me, NOROI: THE CURSE. That film really unsettled me. I keep hearing good things about LAKE MUNGO and have a copy of that sitting on a hard drive someplace. I should get around to watching it, shouldn't I?
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    The best of the batch of found footage films that came out in the 2000s is, for me, NOROI: THE CURSE. That film really unsettled me. I keep hearing good things about LAKE MUNGO and have a copy of that sitting on a hard drive someplace. I should get around to watching it, shouldn't I?
    Yes, you should, Paul. It's not a game changer but I found it to be fairly effective. For the most part it's extremely subtle but in the end it creeped me out quite a bit.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

"The best of the batch of found footage films that came out in the 2000s is, for me, NOROI: THE CURSE. That film really unsettled me."

That's a very scary movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I really loved the first movie at the time and the mockumentary CURSE OF THE BLAIR WITCH. Read the companion book too. I hated the sequel.
    I didn't read the book, but I remember seeing the mockumentary on TV and hadn't heard of the upcoming film. Going into it, I was convinced it was actually a found footage thing. I remember there were people in the theatre who were ill from the shakycam, and that they booed the ending; the same ending that actually stuck with me for a good while after.

I've only seen it once, since. HATED the sequel. Garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    ALTERED is very good and deserves more recognition.
    I'll second this. ALTERED is by far the best thing Eduardo Sánchez has directed so far. SEVENTH MOON is very good as well. As for Daniel Myrick, I really liked BELIEVERS and THE OBJECTIVE. Neither of these two are one-trick ponies but I doubt either of them will ever be able to step out from under the shadow of BLAIR WITCH, unfortunately.

When did THE LAST BROADCAST get released? Was that before or after BLAIR WITCH? I seem to remember watching both at about the same time.
    Forgot about that one but I remember it being pretty good. It came out a year before BWP.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Yes, you should, Paul. It's not a game changer but I found it to be fairly effective. For the most part it's extremely subtle but in the end it creeped me out quite a bit.
    Thanks, Andrew. I shall try to find the time to watch it this coming week.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    "The best of the batch of found footage films that came out in the 2000s is, for me, NOROI: THE CURSE. That film really unsettled me."

That's a very scary movie!
    It's very creepy. Far too underappreciated, imo. Shiraishi made a couple of other 'found footage' films, as I recall, that were pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Forgot about that one but I remember it being pretty good. It came out a year before BWP.
    LAST BROADCAST was pretty solid for the most part but dropped the ball slightly in its final sequence.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Zaibatan View Post
    As for Daniel Myrick, I really liked BELIEVERS and THE OBJECTIVE.
    I look forward to seeing those and a couple of his other movies some day. Presently, they are not on any of my streaming services for free (yeah, I'm cheap).
    VHS will never die!

LAST BROADCAST was pretty solid for the most part but dropped the ball slightly in its final sequence.
    Definitely a clever but cruel conclusion to that movie.
    VHS will never die!