Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mondo Macabro Releasing Suddenly In The Dark

I figured it would sell pretty well and am surprised they didn't keep the 1000 number, a Korean slasher is not something you often hear about even in the cult circles. Where something like Private Vices sounds like a more slow moving poetic film, Suddenly In The Dark is being touted as 'A Psychosexual 80's Korean Slasher'...something much more eye-popping. I can only hope being fast enough to get my copy ordered on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
    I figured it would sell pretty well and am surprised they didn't keep the 1000 number, a Korean slasher is not something you often hear about even in the cult circles. Where something like Private Vices sounds like a more slow moving poetic film, Suddenly In The Dark is being touted as 'A Psychosexual 80's Korean Slasher'...something much more eye-popping. I can only hope being fast enough to get my copy ordered on Friday.
    There's just no way to tell what's going to sell when you're dealing with obscure movies. Our last two direct sale editions, for SYMPTOMS and PVPV, have both sold slowly. So we went conservative with this one, not knowing what to expect.

We are pleasantly surprised to say the least! Tempted to do a larger number, but then we don't want to push our luck either. This one, we'll stick with 500, and hope the buzz carries over to the retail edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    There's just no way to tell what's going to sell when you're dealing with obscure movies. Our last two direct sale editions, for SYMPTOMS and PVPV, have both sold slowly. So we went conservative with this one, not knowing what to expect.

We are pleasantly surprised to say the least! Tempted to do a larger number, but then we don't want to push our luck either. This one, we'll stick with 500, and hope the buzz carries over to the retail edition.
    Very understandable business decision. You guys continually put out more than a solid product and I can't wait to see what MM has in store for us in the future. Hopefully more crazy Asian and European titles I say!

Since you worked with KOFA on this release, I hope your collab continues in the future. Specifically, in regards to a future release of Kim Ki-young's 1972 movie, INSECT WOMAN -- would be ecstatic to see this out on blu ray.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Since you worked with KOFA on this release, I hope your collab continues in the future. Specifically, in regards to a future release of Kim Ki-young's 1972 movie, INSECT WOMAN -- would be ecstatic to see this out on blu ray.
    We are big fans of Kim Ki-young! A few of his films are definitely on my "Korean List".

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    We are big fans of Kim Ki-young! A few of his films are definitely on my "Korean List".
    That's good news & I'm sure you'll be able to sell out a 1000 print run as a lot of fans have been waiting for a decent release of Kim Ki-young's films. Fortunately, I picked up the OOP KOFA 4 disc box set when it was still available at a reasonable price (it's now going for upwards of $300!) but the PQ leaves a lot to be desired with missing reels, print damage, burned in Spanish subs, etc.

Btw, I nearly flipped when you mentioned you were interested in Tsui Hark's DON'T PLAY WITH FIRE. Please make it happen! yes, any uncut version will feature the obvious LQ VHS uncensored insert footage but I still want!

80's Korean slasher, what? I never heard of this one, I think I must get it though, although I will wait for the retail version. I am not one who cares about a numbered edition or any of that stuff. Jared, I am sorry to hear Symptoms and Private Vices, Public Virtues were slow sellers, although Private Vices, Public Virtues is not out on retail yet, I have it on preorder, and I also bought Symptoms. I thought Symptoms was a great movie. I also am getting the Jess Franco film you are putting out in November. I hope you can continue to release films on blu ray, oh and I don't always buy films on release date, but I do always try to get around to getting them, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 months after release date, depending on how many great films are coming out a month I need. But MM is one of the 3 film companies I try to get releases by, along with Vinegar Syndrome, and Synapse. But Synapse is kind of pricing their blu rays out of reach for me lately at $46 each ouch! lol

If anyone is still looking to by the red case LE of SUDDENLY IN THE DARK, the last 50 copies will go on sale in about 20 minutes from now at mondomacabro.bigcartel.com

phew, cut it close but I was one of the lucky 50! Looking forward to this release even though I have a nice HD rip of it and watched it a couple times already. Fingers crossed that MM puts out more Asian titles in 2017.

Posted this in the Franco thread but the news pertains to this film to so...

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd/?fref=nf

Bad news first ... Expect delays for both SUDDENLY IN THE DARK and NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND DESIRES. With SUDDENLY, there was much more extensive work that needed to be done on the HD master than we anticipated. Our guy has been working overtime and you can be assured it will look pretty damn great. Should be going to press any day now, but that means the discs are going to be a little a couple of weeks late. Watch this space for more updates.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)