Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mondo Macabro Releasing Suddenly In The Dark

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Delays are good as long as they mean making a better product.
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig

Any idea when these will ship? I haven't heard anything other than that the release date was Nov. 28th.

A couple of people on blu-ray.com posted that they have received shipping notices for Suddenly in the Dark or, I think, that's the film they were posting about.

Received my copy yesterday. This is my first Mondo Macabro blu ray purchase ever. will definitely buy more if they release more Asian titles in this format.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Press release for the regular edition.

Mondo Macabro February 2017 New Releases
    Suddenly In The Dark
    Blu-ray
    Label: Mondo Macabro
    Prebook: 1/10/2017 Street: 2/14/2017
    SRP: $29.95 UPC: 843276017095 Cat: MDO170
    Color 100 minutes In Korean with English subtitles
    Region A Widescreen 1.85:1 PCM Mono
    Production year: 1981 Horror Not Rated
    Director: Go Yeong-nam
    Cast: Kim Young-ae, Yoon Il-bong, Lee Ki-seon, Hyun-Hye-ri

A woman's idyllic middle-class life is disrupted when her husband brings home a beautiful young orphan to be their maid. At first she welcomes the pretty girl, in fact seems strangely fixated on her, but soon comes to suspect the girl of having an affair with her husband. At the same time odd, unexplained incidents - most involving the maid's mysterious wooden doll - begin to make her question her own sanity. Soon it all spirals out of control and the film climaxes in a fever pitch of sexual jealousy, murder, and supernatural vengeance, all set to a pounding synth score.

Almost completely unknown outside its home country, Suddenly in the Dark is one of the best examples of pre-millennial K-horror. It was made at a time when censorship laws were being liberalized, igniting a boom in horror and erotic films. Elements of both are present here, directed with bizarre flair by Go Yeong-nam in a style often compared to the wilder Italian films of the 70s and 80s. Mondo Macabro is proud to present this classic of Korean horror on Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in the world. Our presentation has been restored from the best available elements from the Korean Film Archive, and features brand new extras produced exclusively for this release.

Special Features:

Interview with producer David Suh
    Interview with critic Kim Bong-seok
    Korean Cover Cavalcade
    Newly created English subtitles
    Mondo Macabro previews
    Review Quotes

A mysterious psychological study... that beguiles the viewer right up to its bizarre closing image
    -Darcy Paquet

A gem of South Korean horror cinema
    -Letterboxd

A very entertaining and mysterious film from Go Yeong-nam. Another strong entry in South Korea's horror movie repertoire
    -Unknown Kino

Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    So some of you guys have this by now? We need impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    will definitely buy more if they release more Asian titles in this format.
    Closing in on a deal for a couple of Chinese language films right now. A bit riskier perhaps as they are not really horror but more exploitation/action. Hopefully that will happen around mid-2017.

Also just located the rights holder for more Korean films. But that will probably be a 2018 project at this point. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    So some of you guys have this by now? We need impressions!
    I'd like to hear what people think as well. This is the first project for MM that I initiated and oversaw the production of, so I'm anxious for some feedback!

Not a lot of help here, but I enjoyed the film. It's kind of crazy in a Shaw Bros. witchcraft film kind of way, but more suspenseful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    Closing in on a deal for a couple of Chinese language films right now. A bit riskier perhaps as they are not really horror but more exploitation/action. Hopefully that will happen around mid-2017.

Also just located the rights holder for more Korean films. But that will probably be a 2018 project at this point. Stay tuned!
    well, color me intrigued. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on your facebook page to get any updates to the possible forthcoming titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    I'd like to hear what people think as well. This is the first project for MM that I initiated and oversaw the production of, so I'm anxious for some feedback!
    I'll have a look this weekend at the actual film on blu ray to see if it's a visible and audible upgrade over the file I have. The one criticism I can levy right now is that booklet is kind of cheaply produced. The main selling point of the red case over the standard retail version is the enclosed booklet but it looks like it was printed on someone's cheap inkjet printer. I wish the typography and print was better but have no issues with the content.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"