Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mondo Macabro Releasing Suddenly In The Dark

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    The one criticism I can levy right now is that booklet is kind of cheaply produced. The main selling point of the red case over the standard retail version is the enclosed booklet but it looks like it was printed on someone's cheap inkjet printer. I wish the typography and print was better but have no issues with the content.
    That's fair, and it must be said we are using a cheaper printing option right now. But having a look myself again after reading this, I think you are making too much of it. The color cover looks cheap to you? You know it doesn't. It looks great. Maybe if it were glossy instead of matte, it would like a bit more slick, but that's it. The inside, I can see what you're saying, sort of. But I think it might be more an issue with the font and the small print that anything. Honestly I find it sort of hard to read without my glasses.

So feedback duly noted, and I will make sure that future booklets will look better. That said, the content is all that really matters, and I think Grady Hendrix's essay is the best special feature in the whole package.
    Last edited by Jared A.; 12-16-2016 at 03:04 PM.

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    Closing in on a deal for a couple of Chinese language films right now. A bit riskier perhaps as they are not really horror but more exploitation/action. Hopefully that will happen around mid-2017.
    Sounds extremely interesting! Since you're locating Chinese rights holders, I'd like to take the oppurtunity to wish for any and all HK/China horror that has yet to be released on disc. You know, the maggot and black magic infested kind. There's so much awesome stuff out there that would fit right in with your profile. Probably a suggestion you've had before though.

That's fair, and it must be said we are using a cheaper printing option right now. But having a look myself again after reading this, I think you are making too much of it. The color cover looks cheap to you? You know it doesn't. It looks great. Maybe if it were glossy instead of matte, it would like a bit more slick, but that's it. The inside, I can see what you're saying, sort of. But I think it might be more an issue with the font and the small print that anything. Honestly I find it sort of hard to read without my glasses.

So feedback duly noted, and I will make sure that future booklets will look better. That said, the content is all that really matters, and I think Grady Hendrix's essay is the best special feature in the whole package.
    Yeah, my apologies because I should have been more specific. I did mean the essays themselves rather than the booklet because like you mentioned the outer and back cover are pretty slick looking. All the more reason, I was rather disappointed when the same 'slickness' didn't translate inside to the essays themselves. It's just a cosmetic or aesthetic bugaboo for me as the essays themselves are very informative and nicely written.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Sounds extremely interesting! Since you're locating Chinese rights holders, I'd like to take the oppurtunity to wish for any and all HK/China horror that has yet to be released on disc. You know, the maggot and black magic infested kind. There's so much awesome stuff out there that would fit right in with your profile. Probably a suggestion you've had before though.
    Yeah, Pete Tombs has tried many times to track down rights holders for films like THE RAPE AFTER or RED SPELL SPELLS RED, with no luck. He's also taken several punts at Celestial for some Shaw titles but has never gotten very far. I recently sent an email to Fortune Star inquiring about a film but of course have only heard deafening silence back.

But we keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Yeah, my apologies because I should have been more specific. I did mean the essays themselves rather than the booklet because like you mentioned the outer and back cover are pretty slick looking. All the more reason, I was rather disappointed when the same 'slickness' didn't translate inside to the essays themselves. It's just a cosmetic or aesthetic bugaboo for me as the essays themselves are very informative and nicely written.
    We'll have a look, and see if we can make the next one look a little better.

Had a chance to watch this over the weekend. Watched it at a buddy's house on a 120" Stewart screen with a JVC/Panamorph lens setup. Stunning on a big screen & if memory serves me, the English subtitles are a definite improvement over the .mkv file too. Worth getting especially since the retail version will be cheaper than the LE. Enjoyed the supplements as well, in particular the interview with critic, Kim Bong-suk -- he mentions some obscure 70s horror/exploitation titles that are now all but forgotten since the K-horror boom of the late 1990s to mid 2000s but I would love to see if MM can get a hold of some of those titles.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

The standard edition is up for pre-order at Mondo's Big Cartel: http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/pr...ly-in-the-dark
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Any international buyers still waiting for their LE? I am and it's excruciating.
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

I'd like to hear what people think as well. This is the first project for MM that I initiated and oversaw the production of, so I'm anxious for some feedback!
    Found the critics interview to be insightful and intresting enough, aswell as the postershow are kind of 'why not' given how obscure korean horror in general is to a western audience (propably to most asians aswell..) - well anything is something.

My only critique to the release itself would be the limited label, that imo looked bad having the same font as the artwork, it's just the kind of font that looks bad shrinked.

Originally saw the movie on KOFA's youtube and haven't rewatched the movie itself. Usually i'm not bothered with limited releases but it's the kind of movie I enjoy to collect so it was a given to snag a red case if possible. Bit to hectic for the way I like to collect to almost miss a copy skipping the midnight release hour (from EU timezone) and taking the chance on getting a copy in the morning after (which i luckily did), guessing this will be harder in the future if the limited number stays as low.