Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Lamb (1992)

Dr. Lamb (1992)

Watched this one last night by way of the old Winson DVD release - which is a fairly lousy release, what with the weird bleeped audio (yeah, anytime someone cusses you can clearly hear the 'bleep' on the audio and at one point the English subtitles say 'buck off!'). Even though the HK DVD seems to be cut this is still fairly strong stuff. I hadn't watched this in years and forgot that it took so long to get going, but even the first forty five minutes where 'Fat Bing' and the other cops are mostly just smacking Simon Yam around in the interrogation room it's still kind of amusing even if those scenes do go on and on and on.

Once we get to the flashbacks, all bets are off - lots of good, nasty violence here and some twisted sex too - gotta love the scene with the severed boob flopping around and landing on the lady cop's back while she's looking for evidence! It's all done in very poor taste, but then, isn't that what we love about Cat III stuff in the first place?

I can't see this getting a Blu-ray release anytime soon so I'll hold on to my crappy DVD, but if it were I'd be happy to upgrade on this.

Also the cover is very misleading - that image has nothing at all to do with the movie.

Name:  jaqHR.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  92.7 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I don't remember anything about it and I've seen a ton of CAT III flicks. I remember not liking it and that's about it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

One of the first cat 3 movies I saw...so have a soft spot in my heart for it

I uaed to have the uncut European version and remember it being bit gorier and violent in the kill scenes.

Yes it does take a while to get going..but as it was based on a famous murder trial then I gu3ss they tried to pad it out aomewhat to get it to feature length.

And yeah, the HK humor in these things STILL baffles me even today!!

I though Yam was great as always in this!!!

Next year looks like being the 25th aniversary of this movie ( and a load more Cat 3 movies)...so maybe someone will release a blu of it?

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    I really like this one. Very nasty. I didn't even know the HK DVD was cut. Is the European (Austrian?) release English friendly?
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    I really like this one. Very nasty. I didn't even know the HK DVD was cut. Is the European (Austrian?) release English friendly?
    Yep, the XT Video release has English subs, as I recall. It's a patchwork quilt, as the censored footage was cut from the negative and junked, I believe, and therefore the missing footage has been patched in from lesser quality sources.

I really like this picture. I remember reading about it not long after it's first release, what with the rumours that real corpses were mutilated for the film (in actual fact, rather convincing prosthetic corpses), and I didn't get to see it for maybe seven or eight years - and then only via a very nasty-looking VHS dupe. I found it a strange film on first viewing, as the pacing seemed all over the shop - but subsequent viewings have endeared it to me. Yam's very good in his role, I think, and I always like seeing Danny Lee playing... well, playing a cop. He does it so damn well
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

It was on Netflix for awhile sometime back and sadly I missed it. Also, any Simon Yam joint he brings the chops and wouldn't expect anything different based on the recommends.

Haha...how could I NOT have mentioned the fact that Danny Lee plays a cop in this....such a stretch for him

Danny 'The Man Who Plays Cops' Lee
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Danny 'The Man Who Plays Cops' Lee
    Unfairly typecast?
    Playing to his strengths?

Just why did he choose to become the go to guy for HK cop portrayal??