Thread: Behind The Scenes Of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner!

Behind The Scenes Of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner!

The BBC posted a pretty great photo set/article here in honor of the show turning 50:

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-37232329

Some pretty great stuff there.

This is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, it's up there with Deadwood and Twin Peaks and depending on what sort of mood I'm in, sometimes beats them out for the coveted #1 spot!

There's been nothing like it before or since.

Name:  FreeForAll6-540x405.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  53.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've little to add other than reinforce how amazing this show is

I remember my first viewing of the whole series, when it was broadcast on Channel 4 on the show's 20th(?) anniversary. I've since owned it on VHS, two DVD sets and now Blu-ray - and revisit it often.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

When I was a kid, maybe 10 if not a bit younger, my sister and I went to my grandparents' place for a few weeks during the summer. They had a cottage on a lake so it was a great place to hang out and it gave my mom a break. At any rate, my grandfather was into Hammer and Corman and Monty Python and despite the fact that he was a United Church minister, was completely fine with my watching horror movies and sci-fi movies so long as he had seen them first (which in hindsight seems perfectly reasonably when dealing with kids). At any rate, I remember him telling me that I'd like this show he'd taped off of PBS called The Prisoner because at the time I was really into spy movies. I watched a few episodes with him and it didn't click, it was too weird and went over my head.

A few years later he tried again, I was there visiting for a weekend and a teenager at this point, and it worked for me. He and I watched the show over the span of a few days from start to finish and I loved every second of it. So I associate the show with him and there's absolutely a nostalgia factor there for me, but even removing that from the equation as best I can, it really is a remarkable achievement. It was so far above and beyond anything else I've seen from television of that era that it stands on its own sort of pedestal. There are times where The Avengers (another show I used to watch with him - and my grandmother would watch that one too, but not The Prisoner because 'It's too dark!') comes close, but I don't think it quite matches it.

Now I want to bust out that Blu-ray set and give it another run....
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's been reported that Peter Wyngarde passed away.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Alex Cox has a book about the Prisoner coming out. Loved his SW book and column in Film Comment.