Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 31 Days of Horror part 2: the Legend of Curly's Gold

THE BLOB (Chuck Russell, 1988). Horrible DVD menu. A+

DIARY OF A MADMAN (Reginald Le Borg, 1963). Vincent Price vs the Horla. Wade Wellman cited it as an inspiration for his Holmes vs Martians story, along with STUDY IN TERROR, which I've added to the pile. (There are no Martians in this movie.)

THE DENTIST
    (Brian Yuzna, 1996). Dentistry horror with script from Dennis Paoli and Stuart Gordon. A lot of fun.

SCREAM 3 (Wes Craven, 2000). Mehta.

SCREAM 4 (Wes Craven, 2011). Behta.

THE WITCH
    (Robert Eggers, 2015). Now I want to live life deliciously.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    BLOOD FEAST is a camp classic. Certainly John Waters and Joe Bob Briggs have spoken of it in the so-bad-its-good sense which is a big part of camp and the real reason I think the film stands up so well today.
    Yeah...it's my favorite Lewis film.

I hated when the movies tried to be inept like The Killer Tomatoes.

MATINEE (Joe Dante, 1992). Monsterkid genius. The German Koch region B blu-ray is very good, but I might break down and get the Arrow too.

BABY BLOOD - I've always liked this darkly comic horror flick from France. It's about a woman who is impregnated by a sea creature that demands she feed it human blood... or else. It has some nice gory murders, but the best parts are the conversations the woman has with the unborn monster - it asks her questions (in a polite voice) about men and life in general and even gets upset when she smokes a cigarette! I like the scene after she gives birth and it looks like a normal human baby - it makes the audience question whether or not she really was impregnated by a monster, or if she's just had a mental breakdown and is killing men because of past abuse. Of course, all ambiguity is thrown away during the climax.
    Last edited by Matt H.; 10-10-2016 at 04:35 PM.

I watched

THE MONSTER SQUAD
    THEY LIVE
    THE WITCH WHO CAME FROM THE SEA
    THE TENANT.

Good times.

Good Times was not really very Halloweeny.

VENOM
    (Jim Gillespie, 2005). Pretty crappy slasher with fakeass voodoo trappings that do nothing. Based on a video game idea, produced by Kevn Williamson. I liked the diner at the beginning.

DELIRIUM (1972) - International version. This isn't too bad, but it's a bit disappointing. It's about a married psychiatrist who is also a serial killer. Nobody suspects him because he's also a police consultant (shades of INVESTIGATION OF A CITIZEN ABOVE SUSPICION) and he helps them in the investigation of the murders that he's committed! The first half is excellent; it has a dreamlike quality with very unnerving music and some incredible, hyper-stylized murder sequences. There's one amazing scene - lit only by the killer's flashlight - where a woman is whipped as she's writhing around on the floor; when she escapes into the bathroom, the killer breaks in and tosses her into the bathtub - only to whip her some more before smothering her with a soaked shirt and ultimately drowning her! I also enjoyed the gothic imagery in the fantasy sequences - particularly the recurring image of chains - and the use of medieval weapons during the climax. Unfortunately, there's a plot twist at the halfway point and the movie becomes a slow-paced mystery with long, boring dialogue scenes. The biggest problem is that the identity of the second killer is obvious, and there's really nothing else to hold your interest while you wait for the characters to catch up. The ending is pretty good, though.
    Last edited by Matt H.; 10-10-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
    Yeah, plus Mal Arnold's acting as Fuad Ramses makes it feel like it's completely from another world.
    For sure, his performance is so over the top it becomes surreal. The film wouldn't be the same without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    For sure, his performance is so over the top it becomes surreal. The film wouldn't be the same without it.
    I don't really like the other two films in the Blood trilogy. I think the lack of Mal is partially why.

Also, I recently made a fan edit combining Corpse Eaters (1972), Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things and the Video Dead (1987) called Zombiethon 2. I think it came out pretty well in my biased opinion. I might make a trailer for it. But in re-watching those movies, they work so much better without all the filler. Especially CSPWDT.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 10-11-2016 at 03:57 AM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED - I watched this late last night and I've already forgotten most of it. It seems to have been inspired by "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. It's about a group of students who travel into the mountains with their professor, to find the Yeti. Most of the action takes place in a cabin and it reminded me of a play; I'm sure if I was in a more forgiving mood, I would've enjoyed the dreadful acting, but it just didn't connect with me at all - it was like watching a blank screen for 90 minutes. One memorable scene has the students tying the corpse of their recently murdered friend to a tree, as bait for the Yeti.