Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peele's Get Out (Merged)

Jordan Peele's Get Out (Merged)

This looks kinda interesting!

Get Out - In Theaters This February
    http://www.getoutfilm.com

In Universal Pictures’ Get Out, a speculative thriller from Blumhouse (producers of The Visit, Insidious series and The Gift) and the mind of Jordan Peele, when a young African-American man visits his white girlfriend’s family estate, he becomes ensnared in a more sinister real reason for the invitation.

Now that Chris (Daniel Kaluuya, Sicario) and his girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams, Girls), have reached the meet-the-parents milestone of dating, she invites him for a weekend getaway upstate with Missy (Catherine Keener, Captain Phillips) and Dean (Bradley Whitford, The Cabin in the Woods).

At first, Chris reads the family’s overly accommodating behavior as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter’s interracial relationship, but as the weekend progresses, a series of increasingly disturbing discoveries lead him to a truth that he could have never imagined.

Equal parts gripping thriller and provocative commentary, Get Out is written and directed by Peele (Key and Peele) and produced by Blumhouse’s Jason Blum, as well as Sean McKittrick (Donnie Darko, The Box), Peele and Edward H. Hamm Jr. (The Box, Bad Words). The film also stars Caleb Landry Jones (X-Men series), Milton “Lil Rel” Howery (The Carmichael Show), Betty Gabriel (The Purge: Election Year), Marcus Henderson (Pete’s Dragon) and Keith Stanfield (Straight Outta Compton).

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Very interesting idea I must say.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

New trailer.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

GET OUT is quite good and very entertaining. It takes the horror/thriller into the realm of social commentary which will turn off a segment of the audience, but, when done in such a witty manner, should still appeal to a broad spectrum of viewers. And, it's a very rare genre title that has been a huge hit with critics and viewers. It's not without flaws, including the fact that it simply isn't scary in the least - the one 'scare' is, as is too often the case these days, simply a person unexpectantly walking into frame with a Loud Sharp Musical Cue amped up to 11 on Surround. My larger problems are too spoiler sensitive to even really hint at since seasoned genre fans will know even the references. Suffice it to say here in the NON-spoiler area of this post that GET OUT is worth seeing and well-made and acted for such a low-budget entry.

Note: Is there a better way to hide spoilers on this forum?? I know other forums do.

SPOILERS BELOW:

Director Jordan Peele has been quite up front with influences - INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, ROSEMARY'S BABY and, especially, THE STEPFORD WIVES. THE STEPFORD WIVES parallels are so numerous and spot on that one could even nickname it THE STEPTOE HUSBANDS (Steptoe & Son being the name for the BBC series Sandford & Son is based on). And, those influences are where my biggest problem lies with GET OUT. Peele follows the slow build-up of the above referenced titles. We only gradually see the full picture of what is the true nature of what lies beneath the seemingly idyllic country life of the girls' (Allison Williams) parents and friends. Besides the overly obvious behavior of their servants (another Peele miscalculation - they should have been much much more subtle), the first true hint of something truly foul going on is at a party when our hero (Daniel Kaluuya) notices a familiar looking young black man coupled up with a middle-aged average looking white woman (echoing a party scene in STEPFORD WIVES where very attractive younger women are coupled with frumpy middle-aged dudes). From there, the movie leaps into full horror mode (more than halfway through the movie). So far, so good. And, effective. Unfortunately, Peele choses to end the movie with a typical bad guys get it in the end, the hero saves the day. All very conventional (complete with multiple fake outs). All too disappointing for what had been a clever thriller. If you are going to follow the model of all those titles (and more) cited - why not go all the way to the ending? Sure, the ethnically diverse crowd I saw it with loved it that whitey gets it in the end, but, isn't it the purpose of a dark satire/cautionary tale to Go All The Way? Would 'Stepford Wives' be still part of the lexicon four decades later if the wives had won? Would 1984 still be a buzzword today if Winston had kicked Big Brothers' ass? Indeed, Jordan Peele admits that he did originally have a darker ending. He claims he thought better of it. I say he copped out. I understand the socio-political reasons for his change of heart, but I think it weakens the effect and lets the audience off the hook, cheers and all. I still think that GET OUT is a worthy exercicse, but, it could have been more powerful with less of an eye on the commercial, and more towards art.

Want to see this in the theatre. Seems to be doing well and getting good reviews.

Press release for the Blu-ray coming soon from Universal.

FROM THE MIND OF JORDAN PEELE COMES THE RECORD-BREAKING SOCIAL THRILLER WITH A NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN ALTERNATE ENDING

GET OUT

“Explosive brilliance” - Joe Morgenstern, The Wall Street Journal

AVAILABLE ON DIGITAL HD MAY 9, 2017 BLU-RAY™, DVD AND ON DEMAND MAY 23, 2017 FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Universal City, California, April 4, 2017 – A speculative thriller from Blumhouse Productions (Split, Insidious franchise, The Gift) and the mind of Jordan Peele, the first African-American writer/director to cross $100 million at the box office with his debut film, GET OUT arrives on Digital HD on May 9, 2017 and on Blu-ray™, DVD and On Demand on May 23, 2017 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Known as the best reviewed movie of 2017 on Rotten Tomatoes to date, the dark and unsettling break-out hit is deeply relevant to modern day topics, captivating audiences with thrilling conflicts and danger at every turn. Own GET OUT on Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital HD and be the first to see the chilling alternate ending that flips the script, a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, plus much more!

Now that Chris (Daniel Kaluuya, Sicario), a young African-American man, and his girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams, “Girls”), a young white woman, have been dating for several months, she invites him for a weekend getaway upstate at her family’s upstate home with parents Missy (Catherine Keener, Captain Phillips) and Dean (Bradley Whitford, The Cabin in the Woods). At first, Chris reads the family’s overly accommodating behavior as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter’s interracial relationship, but as the weekend progresses, a series of increasingly disturbing discoveries lead him to a truth that he could have never imagined.

The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital HD with UltraViolet™.

BLU-RAY™ AND DVD BONUS FEATURES
    Alternate Ending with Commentary by Writer/Director Jordan Peele
    Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Writer/Director Jordan Peele
    Unveiling the Horror of Get Out: Go behind-the-scenes for the making of Get Out
    Q&A Discussion with Writer/Director Jordan Peele and the Cast: Director/Writer Jordan Peele sits down with the cast to answer fan questions on the film hosted by Chance the Rapper.
    Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Jordan Peele

FILMMAKERS:
    Cast: Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford, Caleb Landry Jones, Stephen Root, Catherine Keener
    Casting By: Terri Taylor CSA
    Costume Designer: Nadine Haders
    Edited By: Gregory Plotkin
    Production Designer: Rusty Smith
    Director of Photography: Toby Oliver ACS
    Executive Producers: Raymond Mansfield, Couper Samuelson, Shaun Redick, Jeanette Volturno
    Produced By: Sean McKittrick P.G.A, Jason Blum P.G.A, Edward H. Hamm Jr. P.G.A, Jordan Peele P.G.A
    Written And Directed By: Jordan Peele

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY™:
    Street Date: May 23, 2017
    Copyright: 2017 Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
    Selection Number: 61186220 (US)/61186228 (CDN)
    Layers: BD-50
    Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1
    Rating: R for violence, bloody images, and language including sexual references.
    Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
    Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/Dolby 2.0 DVS2, Spanish and French (Canadian) DTS Digital Surround 5.1
    Run Time: 1 Hour 43 Minutes

TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
    Street Date: May 23, 2017
    Copyright: 2017 Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
    Selection Number: 61186219 (US)/61186226 (CDN)
    Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Rating: R for violence, bloody images, and language including sexual references.
    Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French (Canadian) Subtitles
    Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1/Dolby 2.0 DVS2, Spanish and French Dolby Digital 5.1
    Run Time: 1 Hour 43 Minutes
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  3694a2d6-90e4-4c99-b1d4-47fea458cc33.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  62.5 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I knew it wouldn't be long before this hit Blu. I wanted to see it at the theater, but I can't remember the last time I went to a movie where there wasn't some kind of distraction or annoying audience members. It's worth waiting just to watch it in the comfort of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I knew it wouldn't be long before this hit Blu. I wanted to see it at the theater, but I can't remember the last time I went to a movie where there wasn't some kind of distraction or annoying audience members. It's worth waiting just to watch it in the comfort of my home.
    It's still in the Top 10 at the box office, so there is time to see it in a theater. It's worth going. Despite my only minor qualms about it, the ending is really fun in a packed theater.

Get Out (2017)

Hello there.

Has anybody seen the movie Get Out (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/). It's been quite hyped a lot and I wonder if it's worth it or not.

Ed.