Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll show you mine if you show me yours: Collection and equipment thread (with pics!)

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar

I'll show you mine if you show me yours: Collection and equipment thread (with pics!)

The idea came up in another thread, and I'd really like to see what kind of solutions you guys have come up with for storing all your plastic discs, memorabilia, records, books, etc. As we all know, a DVD or BD case is thin in itself, but when you start counting them in the thousands, the whole storage aspect becomes very challenging.

I've been toying with the idea of going with just the discs in binders, beacuse frankly I'm starting to run out of space to display all those spines, but on the other hand I really like the concept of having physical objects to look at and hold.

I'm travelling right now, but I'll get pics of my collection and viewing equipment as soon as I'm home again.
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

My wife has demanded that I place at least some of my collection in binders. I was resistant at first but have come round to the idea and really like the binders now, enandalusiskhund.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I've run out of room and, in a strange way, I'm kind of relieved. It's caused me to become very picky as to what I actually buy. I've purged my collection to the breaking point - as far as I'm concerned, all that's left are the essentials, and it's very difficult to part with any of them now. I've come to realize that most of the DVDs and Blurays that I've bought only get watched once or twice, then they get put up on the shelf - basically, if I can see a film without having to buy it, that's ideal for me.

If I went out and bought another shelf, I'd start buying too many discs again. I guess after all these years of collecting, it's a form of discipline.

Collection went into binders years ago. It was very freeing. Even with that said I reached my binder max and right now I'm deciding if I should get a another binder or throw some discs onto a cd spindle to free up space inside a case. Phew. First world problem fer sure. For the past few years my dvd acquiring as been next to nothing but lately I've been picking up discs again. I need to stop the madness! Comic book collection is also at an all time max! TOO MUCH STUFF!
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Binders. Psh.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Right now I am at the point where I have to either get rid of a bunch of discs or get a new shelf built. On advantage of having a father who is a carpenter. He has build me two custom shelves for my dvds. But both of those are full now.

I own six cabinets and they are all crammed full, these red ones pictured are 3 rows deep including the ones face out, also have had to use the top of the shelves for storage and that's not ideal as I have to take down a row to see whats behind.

They are nice cause they have doors and I have never had to dust inside which is what I look for when buying storage, I hate fucking dust, and dusting. I have also 4 cabinets for books and are stored the same way behind glass doors. I would never use binders for an of my collection as I love packaging of the films, Looks nicer. I have over 6k in dvd's/blu-rays and have run out of space.

These pics are old, and I'm way to lazy to take new ones of the rest of the cabinets.

I have 3 of these type of cabinets full of movies as well.

This pic was taken months ago when I reshuffled things.
    Last edited by Mark C.; 10-18-2016 at 04:18 AM.

Best thing to do chaps is rip them all to HDD and sell them all

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Wow @ that collection Mark! 6k movies is an insane ammount. I have 1/3 of that and still have difficulty finding the space for it, so a lot of it is in basement storage. Nice collection of EC comics too!
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

I must have had about 4000 at my peak but im whittling them down to more manageable size. i think when your collection is too large it detracts from your enjoyment somewhat. too much to choose from! and you eventually discover they are little more than dust collectors. you put them on the shelf brand spanking new then next time you look at them they dont look so new anymore. and thats just money sat there on those shelves.