Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Leonard Cohen

RIP Leonard Cohen

I was a late-comer to LEONARD COHEN. Really late. Of course I had both heard of him, and heard some scattered songs. I guess when I was younger I considered him an 'old fogey'. For years, Cohen was on my distant radar and 'one day I'll catch up to him'. Then a few years ago, I saw a live TV special with him. I was instantly hooked. I 'got' him. Immediately. I can count on one hand the times that has happened to me musically. Since then, there is literally no artist I have listened to more. R.I.P. Mr. Cohen. I'm glad I finally discovered you, and, now, I will never let go.

Wasn't a fan, but have lots of friends who love the man. 82 seems young to me these days. Rip

I got into Leonard Cohen through my mom. She was a fan and so growing up he was on the turntable often enough. I didn't and still don't have a lot in common with my mom, musically speaking, but Cohen was one that I really appreciate her turning me on to. As I got older and got into Nick Cave I noticed the influence pretty much immediately, and Johnny Cash's cover of Bird On A Wire was another reminder to me of the man's importance. I always thought it was interesting that he seemed to experience a bit of a resurgence when his work was included on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. His music was used perfectly in that movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I think I first heard him on another soundtrack, Pump Up The Volume, where his version of Everybody Knows and Concrete Blonde's were included.

Like Mark, never 'got' him but had friends who loved him, I got that he was something special, maybe just not for me.
    This beautiful piece was done last month, it's a wonderful read whether you enjoyed his art or not.
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...akes-it-darker

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I got into Leonard Cohen through my mom. She was a fan and so growing up he was on the turntable often enough.
    Same here, Ian. My mother was (and is) a big Leonard Cohen fan, and when I was growing up she seemed to nearly always have his albums on our record player at home. I grew up listening to his music and kept that up: some of his recent albums have been very good.

On the BBC this afternoon, one of the commentators compared Cohen's passing to that of Bowie - in that both of them seemed to be deeply private people, despite their public personae, who continued to make music right up until their deaths.

Really sad news.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Good stuff. Hadn't heard him before last week.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Flattery and foreplay Ian Miller's Avatar
    My mom loved him too (though I think that for a long time she just had the first LP), but it was when I saw MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER as a young teen that his voice and those songs first really impacted me. Flash-forward to about 15 years ago when I heard Roberta Flack's version of HEY, THAT'S NO WAY TO SAY GOODBYE (ironically, on an album my mom also had) that I fell hard for that song, then getting the Cohen debut on CD and really losing it over SO LONG, MARIANNE, making me even more of a fan, even if I'm only really familiar with that record.