Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HBO's The Deuce

Some info on S2 and Franco's involvement after the sexual misconduct allegations.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/the...nt-1201928029/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched the first episode last night. Off to a decent enough start, good performances and they did a nice job recreating the era. Enjoyed the attention to detail put into the marquees in the background especially.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I enjoyed the first season even if it felt like it just started to scratch the surface. Is it true the next season is going to have a huge time jump?

This was superb television: beautifully performed and with a brilliantly detailed attention to period that never over-egged the 70's aesthetic the way I thought that, say, Vinyl did. It helps that I've always loved this period of New York where the infrastructure was crumbling and the pimps strutted around Times Square like dandies. Maybe if I had been there at the time I would no-doubt have a very different view on this period, but as a Brit this era feels as long and distant as the Wild West of popular imagination. References to cult cinema are there to be found, from the obvious Blaxploitation homage to more obscure touchstones like Wakefield Poole (who's name is explicitly quoted on one occasion), but they are never allowed to dominate.
    As someone who had previously dismissed James Franco (mainly as a slightly too-eager-to-please kind of actor), I have to say I was blown away by his performance. The twin-role thing has arguably been overworked in recent years, but I thought Franco pulled it off (no pun intended - honest!) with aplomb. However, I think Gyllenhaal is the heart of the show in another role (the whore trying to better herself) that could have easily collapsed into cliche. She is really great.
    Like the saloon scenes in Deadwood, the bar scenes in The Deuce really made it feel like I was just hanging out with these pimps and whore's, criminals and cops, eavesdropping on their conversations. It's immersive stuff. Roll on Season Two!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
    However, I think Gyllenhaal is the heart of the show in another role (the whore trying to better herself) that could have easily collapsed into cliche. She is really great.
    I haven't finished the series yet but I agree, there's something very likable about her character that makes it work. She's not the most conventionally attractive actress in the world but there's something about her face, she looks worn down and weathered like you'd think a prostitute would be also kind at the same time I guess? She seems the most believably human character in the series up to the point we've reached.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    I enjoyed the first season even if it felt like it just started to scratch the surface. Is it true the next season is going to have a huge time jump?
    Yeah, it is going to be in the late 70s with the planned 3rd, and final season jumping to the mid-80s.