Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Netflix Series The OA

New Netflix Series The OA

This premieres 12/16/16.

"From Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, the visionary filmmakers behind Sound of My Voice and The East, comes a powerful, mind-bending tale about identity, human connection and the borders between life and death. The Netflix original series The OA is an odyssey in eight chapters produced in partnership with Plan B Entertainment, Netflix and Anonymous Content. The groundbreaking series offers audiences a singular experience that upends notions about what long-format stories can be."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched the first episode and it is definitely surreal, intriguing and ambitious. Let's see if it can stick its landing.

It really does look quite strange. It's interesting to see Netflix taking on projects like this. I'm curious how genre fare like this or Stranger things does compared to the Marvel properties compared to comedic stuff compared to the dramatic stuff.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Given the reaction to it in the papers and on my facebook I'd say Stranger Things would have to have been one of Netflixs highest raters. Seemed like everyone was watching that. On the other hand I don't think Netflix expected much from The OA. To drop it online without any buildup at all was bizarre. I guess they did it as a sort of statement piece: "Look we've got so many shows we didn't even have time to advertise this one but here you go." Can't see them sacrificing, say, House Of Cards in the same way.

Not a comment on the show because it obviously needs to be watched properly to be enjoyed but The OA is on in the background a lot while I'm moving around at the moment and it's getting me down. No idea what's going on but everyones so morose, speaks so quietly and obtusely that it's a miserable thing to have on in the background. Plus it seems to my eye that no one in this is good looking enough to be on tv. Which is a harsh call perhaps, but a fair one I think. Never seen so many average looking people in a budgeted US production.

I liked it. It is very similar to their earlier film The Sound of My Voice which I may have liked more. Its kooky mix of mysticism, teen angst and scifi will probably piss some people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    kooky mix of mysticism, teen angst and scifi will probably piss some people off.
    That sounds kinda great though.

I'll give it a spin this week now that I've got a bit of time off.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    Let's see if it can stick its landing.
    A lot of people are saying No. It does have a huge rug-pulling reveal and then follows that up with a highly controversial ending. I thought the show overall was a hot mess, but with just enough good to near-great parts to warrant a binge watch. But, oh sweet Jesus, what in the world were the writers thinking of with "the five movements"? Just watch...

Saw it and I was fine with it. Kooky as shit but it doesn't bother me. The internets is full of self-important drama, particularly on the AV Club website.

Yeah, I should have specified that it wasn't "the movements" per se that I had a problem with, but rather why they were used when they were used. As an isolated scene, I could almost find it oddly moving. But it's the fact that so many younger viewers have apparently become so enamored of that particular scene (reading online comments), given the context of how it's presented, I find somewhat irresponsible and dangerously naive at best.

I really want to hear more responses to that final episode. I really did find much of the series pretty remarkable. And they had better do a Season2.
    Last edited by Quot; 01-03-2017 at 07:49 PM.