Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE MILLENNIUM BUG (Trailer): Inbreds & Giant Bugs!

THE MILLENNIUM BUG (Trailer): Inbreds & Giant Bugs!

Currently in the process of viewing this.

Anyone looking to pre-order this, here's the link.

That trailer makes it look pretty awful. I think I'll be waiting for some reviews first before I consider parting with any cash...

Actually, this is a pretty solid monster movie. My only complaint was that the inbred hillbilly performances were a bit over the top, kind of hillbilly on steroids, but other than that the movie rocks. No CGI monsters at all. It's all a dude-in-suit and puppetry. There are reviews. Check out THE MILLENNIUM BUG's facebook page, they just started posting links to some reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Francis View Post
    No CGI monsters at all.
    This is one of those funny things with genre fans, and me. I have no issues at all with CGI -- whereas the majority decry it like it's the end of the world. I just look at CG as another facet of the of the whole cinematic storytelling thing. Guess I'm just a bit more forgiving, or not as fussed by it all as the masses. But anyway...I'll check out some of the reviews and stuff.

I have no problem with CGI if it's done well, but so often it looks like a bad video game insert that it takes me out of the movie in a way that bad practical effects never did. I'm probably just getting old and cranky.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Whew! After giving the thumbs up to a Zack Snyder film, saying I don't mind watching Big Bang Theory, giving Mark a bum steer on The Reef and THEN saying "yeah, CG, doesn't bother me"...I thought for a moment there you were going to say that I'm banned from here too!

I got nothing against CGI either when the studio has enough money to make it look good and realistic. My complaint stems from Hollywood using it like a crutch is just about EVERY genre movie they create, and when it's done badly (i.e. SyFy Channel movies), ir's almost insulting, and quickly takes me out of the movie. So, when a flick gets made where the effects are old school, it piques my interest, badly, and makes me nostalgic for the good old days. And, when it turns out as good as this movie, it makse me wonder if that CGI crutch is getting too old and rickety for Hollywood to keep using. The next trend that's gonna get old REAL fast is this 3D shit, but that's another post for another day.
    Last edited by Shawn Francis; 07-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.

This is a valid criticism - a perfect example being blood. It's now more common to see CGI blood than squibs, and to me, squibs look more realistic as you actually get real honest-to-God spray when they explode. With CGI, blood almost always looks fake and I get the impression it's done with computers rather than squibs simply because it's easier.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Funny you mention that, I was gonna bring that up but my pancakes popped in the toaster and I needed to eat badly. But, yeah, using CGI blood, to me, is a sign of laziness on the filmmakers part. I noticed it big time in PUNISHER: WAR ZONE. And, yes, it looks SO fake. You can tell clearly it's nothing but a CGI effect.