Thread: Retromedia Releasing Rat Fink On Blu-ray

Retromedia Releasing Rat Fink On Blu-ray

Thought to be lost, it looks like this is coming out in March from Retromedia.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059636/

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  64.0 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Fred is now listing a street date of June 15 (which is a Thursday). RAT FINK (1965) is now listed on Amazon.com, but the status is "unavailable." That will hopefully change soon.

Just as PRIVATE PROPERTY (1960) was my favorite home video release of 2016, I feel that RAT FINK will be my favorite home video release of 2017.

It's great to see these thought-lost films saved from oblivion. Now, somebody needs to find MME. OLGA'S MASSAGE PARLOR.

The street date is now listed as Tuesday, June 13th, and the Blu-ray is up for preorder on Amazon.com.

The new Blu-ray looks excellent, especially considering that it was mastered from the only surviving 35mm print (the camera negative was lost in a fire). If you're familiar with the films of Arch Hall, RAT FINK plays like a perfect combination of THE SADIST and WILD GUITAR. It's about a psychotic folk-rocker (how many of those were there?) who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Great cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond, especially during a couple of death scenes. Ronald Stein's instrumental rock 'n' roll music also adds excitement to the proceedings.

RAT FINK isn't a lost masterpiece, and isn't quite as artistic as PRIVATE PROPERTY (1960). But, it's still a generally engrossing low-budget slice of B&W entertainment from the mid-1960's, and that's exactly what I wanted it to be.

The Blu-ray also has a brief look at movie theater ads for the film under its various titles (RAT FINK, WILD AND WILLING, MY SOUL RUNS NAKED). Under the WILD AND WILLING title, it even played some of the up-and-coming adult theaters of the late 1960's. Also on the disc in an interview with star Schuyler Hayden's daughter, who comments about her father's own troubled life.

According to Fred's Facebook page, he's down to 500 copies of the Blu-ray (from a pressing of 1,000).

I'm surprised (but happy for them) that it's going that quickly. I bit, and ordered a copy yesterday, should have it tomorrow.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!