Thread: Arrow Academy Releasing Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy

Arrow Academy Releasing Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy

NEW UK/US TITLE: Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy (Zigeunerweisen / Kagero-za / Yumeji) (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD) Limited Edition

Presented together on Blu-ray for the first time outside of Japan, the films in the Taisho Trilogy are considered Suzuki's masterpieces in his homeland.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2n6EmwF
    North American pre-orders links should be live soon!
    Release Dates: 5/6 June

HAUNTING, HYPNOTIC, FLAMBOYANT, EROTIC, BIZARRE - SUZUKI!

After over a decade in the wilderness following his firing from Nikkatsu for Branded to Kill (1967), maverick director Seijun Suzuki returned with a vengeance with his critically-praised tryptic of cryptic supernatural dramas set during the liberal enlightenment of Japan's Taisho Era (1912-26).

In the multiple Japanese Academy Award-winning Zigeunerweisen (1980), two intellectuals and former colleagues from military academy involve their wives in a series of dangerous sexual games. In Kageroza (1981), a playwright is drawn like a moth to a flame to a mysterious beauty who might be a ghost, while Yumeji (1991) imagines the real-life painter-poet Takehisa Yumeji's encounter with a beautiful widow with a dark past.

Presented together on Blu-ray for the first time outside of Japan, the films in the Taisho Trilogy are considered Suzuki's masterpieces in his homeland. Presenting a dramatic turn from more his familiar tales of cops, gangsters and unruly youth, these surrealistic psychological puzzles drip with a lush exoticism, distinctively capturing the pandemonium of a bygone age of decadence and excess, when Western ideas, fashions, technologies and art fused into everyday aspect of Japanese life.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
    -High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
    -Original stereo audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
    -Optional English subtitles
    -New introductions to each film by critic Tony Rayns
    -Making-of featurette
    -Vintage interview with Seijun Suzuki
    -More to be announced...
    FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the films by critic Jasper Sharp and more.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Day one purchase right there.
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig

Never seen these. If the price was as cheap as the recent Miike triple sets I'd bite, but this is too expensive for a blind buy for me.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Name:  C-5kbJ0XgAMBkZU.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  77.5 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Very nice looking set.
    Kristi kraft betvingar dig

Release date pushed back to 3rd July

I've pre-ordered now as the price is down to £32.99 on amazon.co.uk. Haven't seen them but I've not been disappointed by Suzuki yet. Would like to see Gate of Flesh on Blu Ray next, that was the first of his films I saw.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

watched the taisho trilogy over the last couple of weeks, opened up a whole new layer of appreciation for seijun suzuki. zigeunerweisen was fantastic, oddly though I liked the 10 years later directed yumeji better than kagero-za, which borderline annoyed me at certain moments and almost put me to sleep.