Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old To Die Young

Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old To Die Young

"Not much was known about the show when it was first announced. Refn will direct, produce and co-write the 10-episode series, which explores the criminal underbelly of Los Angeles and may be similar to his “Pusher” film trilogy that looked at Danish criminals caught up in the drug trade. “It explores various characters existential journeys from being killers to becoming samurais in the city of angels,” according to an earlier Variety report. Miles Teller was recently cast as a grieving LA police officer navigating an underworld filled with contract assassins."

Kinda-sorta-tiny preview video here.

This'll be coming to Amazon at some point.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

From Twitter:

"Dear Friend, Meet the cast of Too Old To Die Young...!"

Name:  refn.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  56.9 KB

In the larger version of the picture you can read the names under the portraits: Jena Malone, Billy Baldwin, Nell Tiger Free, Miles Teller, John Hawkes, Cristina Rodolo, Augusto Aguilera, Babs Olusanmokun and Callie Hernandez.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Neat. Wish it had a Danish cast, but I get it.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I'll Watch it on N W Refns name alone. But I ain't having high hopes.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I watched the first episode. Visually it's great. Every character is a complete scumbag, a bit Lynchian. Very slow paced but certainly got me interested in watching more. Apparently eps 4 & 5 caused the usual uproar at Cannes with accusations of misogyny (which is actually quite refreshing in this day and age).
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Annoying. For some reason this is not on Prime in Oz. Very strange... Usually the streaming shows come out here at the same time. Back to the eye patch and parrot I go.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.

Fucking hell, episode two is positively glacial. Most episodes are feature length, I think Refn's deliberately provoking. So far this is making Tarantino look economical.

Also, the UHD version of this looks really odd to me. Not sure if it has a higher frame rate or if the extra lines make it look too slick, but it's like watching something with horrible TV motion smoothing settings left on. I've switched back to the HD version, it looks more cinematic.

Ok, so it turns out my tv decided to ignore my settings when 4k steaming and turned that smoothing shit on. I have enough problems in life with motherfuckers trying to second guess me without my tv doing it too. I mean, who in the hell would want that turned on anyway?
    Last edited by agent999; 06-15-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Fucking hell, episode two is positively glacial. Most episodes are feature length, I think Refn's deliberately provoking. So far this is making Tarantino look economical.
    Right!? I think Refn has reached that special part of his career where it's less about entertaining than it is about pushing his story telling quirks to the absolute limit as a kind of artistic statement.

Which I don't mind.

But it has to be said that at 13 hours long it's a daunting prospect contemplating getting all the way through this show. I'd love to see a version where someone just cuts out all the long pauses in conversation.

Conventional wisdom says that a script runs about a page to a minute of screentime. Not exactly, dialogue pages run short, action pages run long, but it holds as a rule of thumb. No way does a 75 minute episode here have a 75 page script. The dialogue scenes run long! And it's because everyone needs six or seven seconds to consider their answer to every question. The worst is when they repeat something someone else has said.
    epic length pause.
    GIRL: I'm going to walk home.
    epic length pause
    GUY: You're going to walk home.
    epic length pause
    GIRL Yeah I'm going to walk home.
    They stare at each other a bit.

Fuck man, that's 2 minutes of my life gone and I'm not sure how much I've got to spare.

It looks nice though. And it sounds nice. And it's got that Lynchian LA vibe. There's a lot to like. Not sure if I can do it though...
    Last edited by Dom D; 06-16-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.