Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Argentina. Rock & pop & other genres

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Haha, no thanks. I know better than that.
    Yeah, that wouldn't be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Haha, no thanks. I know better than that.
    Why not. Be adventurous, Ian.

That was pop in Spanish, this is pop in English. It is aimed to a Spanish speaking population, which do not understand a word of English, so it is focused on catchiness (and sometimes suffer for unnecessary "babys" thrown. Sorry; is what we have )

For that reason people tends to phonetically interpret the song in Spanish, and makes jokes asking why the singer killed Eskimo people.

(there are 2 bands here: Poncho and Maxi Trusso, collaborating on some songs)

Last edited by memekera; 06-24-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Tonolec

This is a story on how prejudice dooms you if you do and if you do not.

Tonolec started as an electronic band. They tried luck in France, but faced prejudice. They were told that they were "not authentic", because they were Latins, and were not making "his music".

As if there were a law forbidding Latins from making modern music.

The French are proud of hearing music from all the world, but that's just a different form of prejudice.

So they returned to Argentina, and started making fusion of electronic with ultra "Latin" music, to the point of singing in dead indigenous languages. Then they tried luck again, and failed again, because nobody cares about "Latin" music, (unless it is garbage promoted by super giant seals like sony).

Gustavo Santaolalla

You may had heard some song from Santaolalla. He makes fusion of Argentine folkloric genres with modern music, and loves an Andean chord instrument named "charango".

He appeared on the radar in USA when a movie named "Diarios de motocicleta", won an Oscar for his soundtrack (but the award went to a song composed by the Uruguayan Jorge Drexler).

That movie had this song from Santaolalla, a chacarera (the guitar and "bombo leg├╝ero" drum) with violin and a charango in the frontline:

The movie also had this song:

He made soundtracks for many other movies, including Brockeback Mountain:

And also composed music for the game "The last of us":

There is a Caribean genre which has taken root in Argentina (and all around the world). That's reggae.

Do not confuse it with regueton/reggaeton. Regueton is a branch of hip hop, and is completely unrelated with reggae.

Here is a list of random songs. Some are one hit wonders, and other are reggae incursions of non reggae bands.

The song belongs to band named Delfines de Etiopia (This is a fan made video. The images belong to a Jamaican movie)

This band is Sig Ragga

This song is from Hilda Lizarazu, and is used by Puerto Rico for touristic promotion (Puerto Rico is a quasi state of USA).

The band was Sumo. The singer is dead.

After his death, the band split in 2 other bands: Las Pelotas, and Divididos, which both make mostly other rock&pop than reggae..
    This is Las Pelotas

And this is Divididos

La Zimbabwe

And those are fusion with other romantic vocals styles

Reggae Rockers

Las Pastillas del Abuelo. This video was recorded in Cuba.

La Beriso

...and I reached the limit of 10 videos per post, so I finish it here.

By far my favorite Argentinian band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGHXaoq4Kl4

Sorry if this was posted already. This thread is loading really slow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    By far my favorite Argentinian band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGHXaoq4Kl4

Sorry if this was posted already. This thread is loading really slow for me.
    Wow. That was unexpected. I wonder how you got it.

It wasn't posted. Is not even the kind of stuff I would post, because I do not expect a non Spanish speaker to find it interesting, since is not catchy, and it is all in Spanish.