Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Duper Alice Cooper

That's intense.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

That's a lot of halves. I'll watch the crap out of that.

Sam Dunn does great work. Looking forward to this.

Now up for pre-order bundled with that frisbee and underwear you always wanted.

I'll get this, but when it pops up on amazon. I don't order anything from the US that ships UPS.

Haha They bundle a XXL shirt with LARGE undies? Who's buying that shit, Dr. Robotnik?

Haha.

I very rarely pick up movies on release day, but I've been waiting a long time to see Super Duper Alice Cooper. Since seeing Dunn's work on his metal documentaries and most recently his Iron Maiden showpiece, I've realized that his enthusiasm is contagious when it comes to the bands he's presenting.

Anyway, I skipped out on seeing this at a couple of theatrical showings, opting instead to own it. Got it home last night, was amazed that we were going to get to see it, and then.....

Well, it LOOKS pretty, I'll give it that. If you've seen American: The Bill Hicks Story, you'll know what I mean...lots of animation of still shots, more than likely to make up for a lack of footage from the time periods they're describing. We also see a lot of era-specific stock video clips to fill in the background while there's some kind of narration going on, and a little creative overdubbing here and there.

The film spends a whole lot of time on the inception of the band, from their beginnings as a high school talent show act, and then follows them to L.A. where they try to make it big with the thousands of other groups on the same path, and their introduction to Frank Zappa. A little on their rise to fame interlaced with a little of Alice's drinking habit, and the famous chicken incident from the Toronto Rock N Roll Revival.

All of a sudden, it's the late 70's and Alice is parting ways with the band, his drinking is more serious, he's doing a solo tour and now he's in an asylum....gets out, freebasing, quits drugs, and bam...rebirth.

And that's pretty much it. There are a lot of things wrong with this documentary, the primary flaw being that it glosses over huge chunks of the band's history, and instead focuses on the stories that have been told time and time again. A casual fan of Alice Cooper may not know a lot of these facts, but a casual fan is probably not tracking down documentaries on the man. With the lack of information dealt with, the second most glaring omission is the recycled footage. Though there are many live concert segments during the film, they seem to be taken from about 2 or 3 performances...the most noteable being the Billion Dollar Babies tour (already out as Good to See You, Alice Cooper) and the Toronto Rock N Roll Revival show. Dubbing a song overtop of the same live footage does not a different performance make.

This film comes off more like a major missed opportunity. We do see Dennis Dunaway pop up here and there, and Neil Smith is in the deleted scenes, but did Michael Bruce not want anything to do with this? He was one of the major songwriters in the group, and he gets no screen time whatsoever?

This would've maybe worked better if the recycled live footage was cut, if the beginning animated photos were trimmed (as well as those ridiculous Jekyll and Hyde inserts that serve no purpose in this cut, really...I realize that they're attempting to show some dichotomy of character, but it fails) and they threw it in a one-hour spot on A&E. That Sam Dunn touch that I talked about loving so much? It's non-existent here. There's nothing really fun or enthusiastic about Super Duper Alice Cooper, it's just a middle of the road documentary that doesn't do much at all to take a really hard look at the subject, even if a lot of the pre-press on the project talked about "unflinching" looks at Alice's Christianity (which is actually, despite being mentioned here and there, not a prominent aspect of the film).

As a Cooper fan, I had to see this...but as a Cooper fan, I was disappointed.

Wow. Thanks for the review Tolch. It sucks that they half-assed this, especially after all the hype. I wouldn’t mind a breezy doc if it was at least well rounded and there were some beefy extended interviews and deleted scenes in the extras, but it seems they didn’t do that. And the recycled live footage is a real deal breaker. I’m still going to Netflix this, but thanks for taking one for the team.