Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Castle Rock - Stephen King Series Headed To Hulu

Couldn't get through the first series but the first couple episodes of the second were more entertaining. Each season is a self contained story so it's a fresh start and a season focusing on Annie Wilkes is innately more entertaining than whatever it was the first season was about. Still not blisteringly good telly though...
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Yessir. And I saw a bunch of online reviews about King this and King that; he didn't write it. It borrows from his universe, and that's it. I was underwhelmed a whole lot.
    Yeah, it's really lazy to say this feels like an "unpublished King story", as one review I read said. I'm kind of surprised King would let his name be associated with this garbage.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Yeah, it's really lazy to say this feels like an "unpublished King story", as one review I read said. I'm kind of surprised King would let his name be associated with this garbage.
    Have you seen the majority of adaptations of his writing in the past?

I liked the first half of the first season mainly because of the cast, but it held my interest with no problem. It sure did go down hill in the second half though!

That said, I'm curious about S2 and will give the first episode a spin soon.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Have you seen the majority of adaptations of his writing in the past?
    Yeah, I think King is okay throwing his name on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Yeah, I think King is okay throwing his name on anything.
    I always wondered whether he'd actually read all those books that had quotes from him on the cover. There was a time they wouldn't even bother releasing a book if it didn't have a "will keep you up all night" quote from King on the cover.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Watched this first episode of S2. It was ok. Lizzy Kaplan is a good choice to play Annie Wilkes I think, she does a pretty decent job here. Not sure where it's all going and have some issues with a couple of things I won't get into here as it's spoilery, but this was good enough that I'll give it a few more episodes to see how it plays out.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

S2 Episode 2 - not sure I like the direction this is going in because I think it might try and pull some supernatural elements into the Annie Wilkes story, and I don't think that's necessary given that there weren't any in Misery at all - but I could be reading things wrong and I'm willing to give this a few more episodes to see where it goes.

That's not a very interesting post, I'm sorry.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I thought the first season started slow but improved significantly around the central episode featuring Spacek.

The second season is better paced. I don't mind the supernatural elements as the series is clearly taking only elements of King's world and remixing them in completely different ways, so this Annie Wilkes is not the Annie Wilkes from Misery.

E3 definitely ramped things up a lot, better than the first 2 episodes I think.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!