Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie title help

Movie title help

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie from the mid to 90s. It was one of those post Pulp Fiction Tarantino wannabe movies. American film if I'm not very much mistaken.

Now I'm fuzzy on this not having seen it in 25 years or so but my recall is: our hero is an ex gangster now living a suburbanlife who is about to settle with his dream girl. For some reason, all of a sudden, over the course of a day he gets visited by a whole bunch of assassins from his old days who arrive one at a time and want to kill him. He offs them all in turn and then takes overseas with some new wealth he picks up during the day somehow.

I have specific flashes. There was a scene where he slips out of some ropes and has a few seconds to grab a weapon in his kitchen before he has to pretend to be tied up again and he grabs something pathetic, like a salt shaker, when there were knives to be had. A hot chick fucks him while he's tied to a chair and she's going to blow his brains when he comes.

That's all I got. From memory not a great film but I want to see it again for some reason.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Initially I was beginning to wonder if this might be GROSSE POINT BLANK, but I don’t recall any fucking in that.

I think it's Skip Woods' "Thursday" (1998).
    Last edited by Franz Propp; 04-19-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Propp View Post
    Boom! Thank you sir. Aaron Ekhardt eh? I thought it was Dennis Leary but Google searching his name wasn't bringing anything up.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Initially I was beginning to wonder if this might be GROSSE POINT BLANK, but I don’t recall any fucking in that.
    It's definitely not Grosse Point Blank. That mostly revolves around a high school reunion.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Phantom of Death (Ruggero Deodato, 1988)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Propp View Post
    That's a blast from the past. I haven't seen THURSDAY in years. Come to think of it, Eckhart did look a little like Denis Leary at that stage in his career.

I wonder if this one would live up to a rewatch.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    That's a blast from the past. I haven't seen THURSDAY in years. Come to think of it, Eckhart did look a little like Denis Leary at that stage in his career.

I wonder if this one would live up to a rewatch.
    I'll let you know. I see it's on Google Play for $3 so I'm giving it a watch tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    It's definitely not Grosse Point Blank. That mostly revolves around a high school reunion.
    Of course. I only mentioned it because of the absurdity, if that makes sense.

Thursday: It's an interesting watch. I've just been having a read of critics reactions at the time of the films release. Everyone's mentioning the Tarantino influence which is hard to miss but no ones mentioning thatt this is also coming out during Kevin Smith's golden period. There's a lot of Kevin Smith in this and those bits are often super obnoxious.

Just having a look at Skip's filmography as well. Not surprised he's been making his living as a screenwriter. This films devoid of cinematic style but he does frequently show off some wordsmithery. As a screenplay though this is super loose. I'm ready to bet this never got past the second draft.It has so many tells of something that's never been reworked. No way this film would go into production in Hollywood these days. I know, I know, screenplays suck even more now but they suck because they're a corporate product not because they're unprofessional. This one is as unproffessional as you're going to see in a decently budgeted Hollywood film.

BUT that's also it's charm. It has a "made it up as we went along feel' and anything can happen because no fucks are given to huge narrative gaps and stuff that flat out doesn't make sense. Also, I'm trying to think of another mainstream movie that features female on male rape and I'm coming up with nothing. So points for originality there.

You should watch Grosse Point Blank anyway just because. It's great.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Phantom of Death (Ruggero Deodato, 1988)