Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarantino Making A Manson Movie - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    I haven't really liked anything Tarantino has done after Jackie Brown, and this has all the potential to be a stinker. I guess I'm picturing him sticking to his tired old schtick when the horrible story, in my opinion, demands a sensitive and serious treatment. Unfair of me to judge Tarantino so harshly even before production has begun, but I'm just not sure if he is capable of delivering what I imagine a good Manson film would have to be. QT has his niche, which I guess he's good at, but I don't view him as a great filmmaker that can tackle different material and make something worthwile of it.
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

Wow, and here I thought Inglourious Basterds was a masterpiece.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Kill Bill was childish crap for people who haven't seen the far superior movies he ripped off.
    I always found this argument a bit strange: to criticise an exploitation movie for being an exploitation movie, for ripping off movies that were usually ripping off other movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuma View Post
    I always found this argument a bit strange: to criticise an exploitation movie for being an exploitation movie, for ripping off movies that were usually ripping off other movies.
    It was the start of Tarantino's decline from a serious filmmaker who used exploitation elements (and I defend his use of elements from City on Fire) to an exploitation filmmaker who believes he's still making serious art and should be worshipped as cinema's saviour. That's why I dislike his stealing in this instance. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the script for Kill Bill in crayon, it's pathetic. Take away the spectacle from Kill Bill and the story, dialogue and characters are embarrassing. I know I'm in the minority on this one but Kill Bill fails for me on almost every level and is the pinnacle of Tarantino's arrogance which he's never recovered from. I love eating junk food, but don't serve it to me and insist I treat it as haute cuisine as I'll spit it back out.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

It seems like, and I really and truly mean no offense when I say this because I do like you guys, it's a Spielberg situation. Some people don't like the big mainstream-ness of Spielberg or Tarantino. So they think of any reason, be they nitpicky or not, to hate someone like Spielberg or Tarantino or whoever even though they were most likely fans of these guys earlier in their lives.

It's like being a fan of band that you felt like you discovered and then they blow up and become mainstream. Then you start to get annoyed by the newer fans and maybe that band has changed their sound now? That and anti-influence and trying to go against the grain.

I'm not a Spielberg fan (I never liked E.T. or Indiana Jones as a kid and still don't) but Jaws and Duel are good-ass movies. And Spielberg is definitely no slouch when it comes to the technicals.

QT has made some damn good movies. I don't see him using music from The Psychic as an act of plagiarism. When Jarmusch does an homage, no one jumps in foaming at the mouth screaming "HE'S STEALING! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! RABBLE RABBLE!"
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I don't mind this idea. Initial reaction was "wtf? Why would he bother?" But then I don't know I want to see him do another exploitation movie... The idea of him doing something that would force him to reign in a bit might be what he needs. Jackie Brown was a very un-Tarantino Tarantino movie and that's part of it's charm. It took all Tarantino's obvious cinematic skills and forced him to work in a box rather than branching out all over the place. I can definitely see this very un-Tarantino concept working in the same way. Maybe doing a bit of a gritty crime story. You don't get many of them these days.

What happened to that Duchovny show about the Manson clan? I watched a couple episodes and was underwhelmed. Did that get canned?

Jackie Brown worked because Tarantino didn't write it. He used source material from an author he respected, and didn't have the chance to go off the rails. I like a lot of his films, up to Django Unchained which is where he really shit the bed. I've seen Hateful Eight twice now, and just can't appreciate it as a good film. Many fine oerformances, but not a good film.

Oh, and Aquarius is the show with Duchovny...it started getting much better, but haven't heard anything about a renewal.

I don't really think Tarantino has another good film in him at this point and I'm not convinced this will get made anyway. Am I the only one getting an "Ultimate Jason Voorhees Movie" vibe from the news? But having said that, I can't resist a Manson flick. If it happens I'll definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    It seems like, and I really and truly mean no offense when I say this because I do like you guys, it's a Spielberg situation. Some people don't like the big mainstream-ness of Spielberg or Tarantino. So they think of any reason, be they nitpicky or not, to hate someone like Spielberg or Tarantino or whoever even though they were most likely fans of these guys earlier in their lives.

It's like being a fan of band that you felt like you discovered and then they blow up and become mainstream. Then you start to get annoyed by the newer fans and maybe that band has changed their sound now? That and anti-influence and trying to go against the grain.

I'm not a Spielberg fan (I never liked E.T. or Indiana Jones as a kid and still don't) but Jaws and Duel are good-ass movies. And Spielberg is definitely no slouch when it comes to the technicals.

QT has made some damn good movies. I don't see him using music from The Psychic as an act of plagiarism. When Jarmusch does an homage, no one jumps in foaming at the mouth screaming "HE'S STEALING! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! RABBLE RABBLE!"
    I've never understood that logic, the "You just don't like it because it's popular now." Have I applied it to bands? Sure, but not because of the fans, it's usually because they've changed their style completely to suit the mainstream. I haven't seen a big change in Tarantino's style, outside of Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown, where he's using somebody else's source material...otherwise, his movies are just big, loud nods to other films. That works sometimes...as I've said, I'm a fan of the Kill Bill fans and basically everything outside of Django Unchained and Hateful Eight...Oh, and Death Proof...but I don't think that anyone is hating on him because he suddenly went mainstream. The man was arguably at his peak when he did Pulp Fiction over 20 years ago, and there's enough appreciation for Inglorious Bastards, Hateful Eight, and Jackie Brown to be found around here.

The issue here, for me, anyway, with Tarantino taking on ANOTHER film about Charles Manson, is that it's boring. It's been done before. He's not going to do it better. He didn't reinvent the Western with Django or H8, or even really contribute to the canon. Django was at least an interesting concept, but Tarantino proved that he has his head as far up his own ass as he accused Lynch of at the FWWM premiere.

I don't dislike Tarantino because he's popular; I just don't have faith that this will be a good film, or even an interesting one.

I read in the newspaper "celeb" gossip column that Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt might be starring in this. May be B.S. though. Brad Pitt as Charles Manson hmm.