Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarantino Making A Manson Movie - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    My biggest issue with that (if I had one) would be that the violence against her character is primarily played for laughs.
    I think that's been a problem with all his films post JACKIE. Even PULP FICTION had most of the violence played for laughs. Only Travolta's character being gunned down felt properly grim. That's why RESERVOIR DOGS and JACKIE BROWN still hold up for me. There's humor in them but they aren't cartoonish.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

It's QT's most bearable film since JACKIE BROWN. Ridiculously overlong, lacking in genuine drama and a spurious ending which, I must admit, was a bit of a crowd pleaser (for the rest of the 160 or so minutes, the crowd was pretty quiet). The acting is solid and seeing it on 35mm was nice.

The Director spends so much time detailing each and every bit of nostalgia for the times, that he often forgets to tell a story. Just about every major (or cult) film released in 1969 is referenced in one way or another. The effect is like watching the movie with a Live DVD commentary track - Look at that! Listen to this! Did you notice that?!! The film is more about the footnotes than the main storyline (as thin as it is).

I was just rewatching Reservoir Dogs the other day. Imagine the field day that NY Post writer would have had had the cop in that film been a female...
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I've seen it twice now. Liked it better the second time around. That said, Death Proof is the only Tarantino film I consider to be less than great on some level.

For all of the genre-appropriation Tarantino has done - and even though it's awash in thousands of references (and cannibalizes his previous films) - this is a pretty unique vision he's putting forward. The Rick Dalton/Cliff Booth thing works well. Pitt is spot on. Same for Margaret Qualley. Beyond that, all the performances are pretty strong (although a lot of the supporting roles basically amount to one scene and aren't exactly showcases for the actors in them). Mike Moh, Dakota Fanning and Bruce Dern all have pretty great moments though. Wasn't wild about the Steve McQueen bit.

The only real criticsm I have is that the middle scenes (Sharon Tate watching The Wrecking Crew and the DiCaprio/Timothy Olyphant sequence) could have been tightened.

I got tired of hearing myself constantly say I haven't watched DEATH PROOF or INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS so I decided to watch them. I just finished DEATH PROOF. I thought it was horrible. Every scene without Kurt Russel was a chore to get through. I almost turned it off ten minutes into it but decided to stick it out. It reminded me why my interest in Tarantino up to that point waned. I should have trusted my instinct.

I may never watch INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS even though everyone says it's better than that. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I got tired of hearing myself constantly say I haven't watched DEATH PROOF or INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS so I decided to watch them. I just finished DEATH PROOF. I thought it was horrible. Every scene without Kurt Russel was a chore to get through. I almost turned it off ten minutes into it but decided to stick it out. It reminded me why my interest in Tarantino up to that point waned. I should have trusted my instinct.

I may never watch INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS even though everyone says it's better than that. Oh well.

I still haven't watched, "Death Proof". I saw Planet Terror, though. I never caught Grindhouse in the theatre, and when the films went to DVD and Blu, I just wanted to see Planet Terror, which was an OK time.

Inglorious Basterds. I remember some people I know went ot see it, and asked if I wanted to tag along. Something about it, I had a vibe it would not be very good, so, I opted out. Later, someone had it on DVD, and wanted me to watch some of it, and maybe I'd want to watch the entire movie. Near the start there is a LONG drawn out scene, of someone hiding from an officer. I told the guy, after spending 15-20 minutes with that, i didn't have time to watch the whole film then. Sometime later, a year, I got a Blu-ray for $4 or so, and watched it, to see what all this hype was I heard from some people. Well, yeah, it had a few moments, but I thought it was pretty stupid.

My interest in Tarantino films has also waned over the years. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, that was a good run, and decent during the 90's. I took Reservoir Dogs from the rental store, often. Pulp Fiction, same deal, and later when Best Buy had the VHS for something like $20 or $25, Myself, and others bought a copy. Jackie Brown, a lot of people I know thought was so-so, or didn't like it. I thought it was decent, actually saw it with someone the day after Christmas. After that, he got the book the film was based on, to read it. He also read more Elmore Leonard books after that.

Kill Bill, it was OK, but, it's been years, and I can't recall what it was a felt was missing, but, something was. I know the 2nd part of the film seemed really drawn out towards the end.

Grindhouse, I may have avoided that in theatres due to all the Death Proof warnings. I still should have gone, though.

Inglorious Basterds, I covered above.

Django, Unchained I saw with someone who wanted to see it. It was an OK time. Nothing great, but, an OK time.

Hateful Eight I was supposed to see in the theatre, but some plans fell through. I have actually somewhat forgotten about this movie. I still haven't seen it. I should give it a go sometime.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I'll look into giving that one a go in the next week or 2. I'm not expecting great things from it, but, it may end up being an OK time like I felt Django was. This thread also reminds me, I need to watch Hateful Eight sometime

Death Proof is fucking vile, all the characters in it needed to be clubbed round the head just to shut them the fuck up. Inglorious Basterds is far superior. Not perfect, but it's the last Tarantino film that I enjoyed. Don't pass it by just because Death Proof is the most pointless, plotless excuse to showcase a talented stunt performer (but crap actor).
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    It's QT's most bearable film since JACKIE BROWN. Ridiculously overlong, lacking in genuine drama and a spurious ending which, I must admit, was a bit of a crowd pleaser (for the rest of the 160 or so minutes, the crowd was pretty quiet). The acting is solid and seeing it on 35mm was nice.

The Director spends so much time detailing each and every bit of nostalgia for the times, that he often forgets to tell a story. Just about every major (or cult) film released in 1969 is referenced in one way or another. The effect is like watching the movie with a Live DVD commentary track - Look at that! Listen to this! Did you notice that?!! The film is more about the footnotes than the main storyline (as thin as it is).
    I got a bit of that as well, that a story arc was pushed to the side to make way for sets and costumes. Didn't love it, definitely didn't hate it. There was a lot to look at in three hours, and I didn't mind looking at it. That being said, they could've tightened this fucker WAY down and it would've run better, I feel.

All of the performances were top notch, though I noticed Pitt slipping and sliding his way into his wisecracking smartass caricature of films passed.

It was an odd mix of an audience, and at various parts of the film, the different reactions were entertaining. I felt a little bad for laughing near the end while the people behind us were gasping repeatedly in horror.

Anyhoo, I'll see it again, but it definitely didn't need to be 3 hours. The good did outweigh the bad, though. Loved the soundtrack as well.

I always found this anecdote funny in Polly's biography of Bruce Lee. Apparently, that pedo Poolanski thought Bruce might've killed Sharon due to Bruce telling him he recently misplaced his glasses and Poolanski found a pair at the scene of the murder. Poolanski surreptitiously went about checking Bruce's prescription to see if it matched the glasses found at the scene and was relieved to find that Bruce's didn't match. He felt guilty afterward and treated Bruce to an all expenses paid trip to the Swiss Alps. I have no doubt that Bruce was probably dicking Tate on the side under guise of giving her kung fu lessons because I read he was a "pussy magnet" and even that German starlet, Thordiss Brandt couldn't resist him after meeting him on the set of The Green Hornet. Her beau, Gunsmoke actor James Arness was furious when he found out about it.

Bruce moved back to San Francisco where his kung fu exhibitions caught the attention of TV producers who cast him as Kato in the series The Green Hornet.

It was here he met Thordis Brandt, a blonde from West Germany and one of the glamour girls of the 1960s - and had a fling with her.

Brandt said: 'He had a magnetism that was indescribable. Bruce was very quiet and shy but could be very aggressive if he wanted to be. He was a show-off and always wanted to flaunt his body'.

Their relationship lasted a few months until Brandt's on and off lover James Arness, the star of the TV series Gunsmoke, found out she was dating Bruce and hired private detectives to investigate him.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

LOL @ Polanski, he looks like a damn leprechaun.