Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bergman Collection - 30 Disc Limited Set

Grabbed the Criterion release of Ingmar Bergman's Cinema during the last flash sale. What an impressive package! That book is awesome all on its own and to get as much content as you do with this set, well, it's impressive.

Watched The Seventh Seal over the weekend, the new 4k restoration is gorgeous. Hadn't seen the movie in at least twenty years, which makes me feel really old, but it's still an interesting and truly unique mix of comedy, drama, horror and weird arthouse style. Von Sydow is great in it as are the supporting players and Bengt Ekerot is really, really good as Death. The scenes that had the most impact for me, upon seeing it again, weren't the iconic shots of the chess match (though those are great) but the scene wherein Antonius deals with the witch before she's set ablaze and the crazy sequence where the the Christian parade interrupts everyone with the giant cross and all the self flagellation. Both of those sequences kind of unnerved me a bit.

Anyway, I don't need to tell anyone here that it's a classic, I think everyone knows that it is at this point.

Looking forward to delving in to the rest of this set as time permits. It's going to take a while not just because of the sheer volume of films contained in it but because I definitely have to be in the right mood for a Bergman movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Bibi Andersson, probably best known for Persona, passed away at 83.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/m...sson-dead.html
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

There is a UK retail listing for a The Seventh Seal UHD from the BFI. Unfortunately they've seen fit to sully it with a Kat Ellinger commentary. (Guess it could've been worse, they could've hired Howarth to do it.)

I hope the relevant volume of the BFI Bergman box sets will contain the UHD of this and not just the BD.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Name:  E8B0HGOXIAQpjm-.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  89.6 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    I hope the relevant volume of the BFI Bergman box sets will contain the UHD of this and not just the BD.
    It doesn't

Yeah, typical BFI, kick the people who intend to buy their boxsets in the balls. Just another fucking whinng charity that pleads poverty.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

I think the best option for Bergman completests is the following
    • The UHD (if you are into that sort of thing) of The Seventh Seal (only Bergman film with a 4K transfer)
    • (if you can handle the shipping costs) the Criterion set (I think it will end up having about 10 or so titles that will not be in the BFI set)
    • the 1st volume of the BFI sets (has 3 or 4 titles not in the Criterion set and everything in the remaining sets is in the Criterion box)
    • Olive's DVD of Face to Face (theatrical cut, television cut isn't available.)

I probably have some of this wrong (alternate English titles and whatnot), but I think 10 or 11 of these are in the Criterion set but will not appear in the BFI sets:
    • A Ship in India
    • Sawdust and Tinsel
    • A Lessen in Love
    • Dreams
    • Brink of Life
    • The Devil's Eye
    • Hour of the Wolf
    • Shame
    • The Passion of Anna
    • Faro Document
    • The Touch
    • Scenes From A Marriage (Theatrical cut will be in the BFI set, but I've seen rumors that the TV cut may have a different rights holder in the UK)
    • The Serpent's Egg
    • From the Life of the Marionettes
    • Fanny and Alexander
    • The Making of Fanny and Alexander

And these are in the BFI set but not the Criterion:
    • Music In Darkness
    • Prison
    • Torment (script only)
    • Eva (script only)

I'll amend my lists as future volumes of the BFI sets are announced
    Last edited by Derrick King; 08-05-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Update on the BFI UHD release of The Seventh Seal.

The Seventh Seal: 4K Ultra HD Edition
    4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) (Region ABC)
    High Definition Blu-ray (Region B)
    Newly recorded audio commentary on The Seventh Seal by film critic and editor-in-chief of Diabolique magazine, Kat Ellinger
    Karin’s Face (1983, 15 mins): Ingmar Bergman’s short film based on pictures from his personal photo album, particularly those of his mother, Karin
    Behind the scenes footage from The Seventh Seal (1956, 15 mins): rare silent footage with optional audio commentary by film scholar Ian Christie
    Original trailer
    **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet with essay by Jessica Kiang
    Rock! Shock! Pop!