Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Darren Aronofsky's Mother

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    When did it turn into a butthole video? I'm pretty sure Nabonga was talking about the leaked photo of her ass - it's not like it was a feature-length examination or something.
    Assumed it was a video. Not really into looking at leaked celebrity videos or pictures, even if they are fucking stupid enough to store them in the cloud, or so vain that they constantly have to take pictures of their growlers in the first place.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

They're worth taking a peek at.

So this didn't do well opening week. Aronofsky seems to have somewhat anticipated this.

Name:  DJ4BYU6X0AEXlcU.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  86.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Going to see this in the theatre when it hits the screen in this godforsaken part of the world. I may not exactly be a fan of the director, but the trailer has me intrigued.
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

There's no way anyone involved would have been so stupid they thought the film would be a giant hit.

There is some pretty cool moments in the finale like the way they transformed the inside of the house & there's a sound effect that is kind of disturbing but very easy to miss (IF it is what I thought it was) & I thought for a second that they were going to get to a Irreversible-level of violence.

It's a phenomenal film. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It gave me that rare, giddy feeling you get when you realize you're witnessing a masterpiece unfold. It works on many levels and the climax actually matches REQUIEM FOR A DREAM for sheer intensity. Film of the year for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeth View Post
    It seemed to me that it's a mish-mash of a couple of stories?
    Yes, I noticed references to at least 3 different stories, plus many clever (and certainly controversial) twists on the general ideology of faith. There must be an untold amount of references to the Bible throughout that an expert (who isn't uptight) would get plenty of extra enjoyment out of.

*SPOILER*

The main story I was referring to was The Nativity, which is fairly well-known and the idea that people visiting your home could get so out-of-control is an absolutely brilliant touch by Aronofsky. I'm starting to think of this film as the ultimate home-invasion thriller.

Although by the end, it starts to become about the actual creation of the heavens and the Earth, and God's disappointment that he couldn't get it right (hence the idea that he just erases it and starts over after it inevitably gets out of hand).
    Last edited by Matt H.; 09-18-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Yeah Nabonga, where have you seen miss Lawrence's anus? Asking for a friend.
    I watched it as it trickled out pic by pic during the original Fappening. I don't know how easily accessible they are currently (they clamp down on these things extra hard nowadays it seems) but I'm sure you'll be able to find them with some google fu. It's worth it.
    Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Ever since mother! got a mixed critical reception and downright rejected by general audiences (earning a rare 'F' on Cinemascore) there has been a cottage industry of folks trying to decifer what the central metaphor is. Everything from Parenthood to Fame to Creativity to global warming and 'mother earth' itself. To me, the bottom line always is, not matter the intentions and 'hidden meanings' - does it work as drama? mother! fails that test - even if prodigiously so.
    The cast and tech credits are all top notch. Shooting on 16mm film gives the film a hazy grainy look and feel that heightens the horrific atmosphere. Shooting in tight hand-held style works in spots, but, gives it a cramped crowded flavor that works against many of the sequences. You have this gorgeous huge mansion - use it, rather than work against that strength. Casting Michelle Pfeiffer gives a nod to the successful creepy house thriller WHAT LIES BENEATH. More to the point is the ad art that tips it's cap to Polanski's ROSEMARY'S BABY (but, in many ways, it's more like that famed Director's REPULSION). Horror fans may also think of Cronenberg's THE BROOD.

While the film begins with some clear allegorical references to motherhood (there's a lot of womb and vagina imagery), it soon becomes apparent that Aronofsky's focus is more on Javier Bardem's character than Jennifer Lawrence's (a more accurate title would be father!). Is it any surprise that a male filmmaker would make a film ostensibly about motherhood, but shift the focus? Again, no issue if the film works on a dramatic level. Unfortunately, Aronofsky has never been a subtle or supple filmmaker (he also lacks any discernable wit). The metaphors get piled on so heavily, relentlessly and in such an over the top manner (Aronofsky's signature "style") that long before the dual climaxes the film has devolved into self-parody. If the imagery weren't so grotesque, it could almost be enjoyed as a 'laugh at the screen' entry. And, again, if Aronosky ever evinced a genuine sense of humor, he might have realized that. Oh, what Polanski or horror-period Cronenberg could have done with the material. Aronofsky seems in need of a strong collaborator, or, at the very least, a producer willing to say no to some of his cock-eyed ideas. Of his films, THE WRESTLER works the best because it follows a distinct story and was written by an independent screenwriter (Robert Siegel). Whatever metaphor you choose to go by, mother! is a failed film, lofty intentions and all.

Pre-order.

Acclaimed director Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan) delivers “a mind-blowing masterpiece” (Scott Mantz, “Access Hollywood”) with the extraordinarily original mother!, arriving on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD December 19, 2017. The film arrives on Digital HD December 5, 2017. Described as “darkly exhilarating” (Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times) and “Aronofsky’s most daring film yet” (Ben Croll, Indiewire), mother! stunned critics and audiences around the world. Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem star in the visually arresting psychological thriller that will leave your heart pounding and your mind blown. The film also stars Oscar® nominees Ed Harris** and Michelle Pfeiffer***, along with Domhnall Gleeson, Brian Gleeson and Jovan Adepo.

ACADEMY AWARD®-WINNERS* JENNIFER LAWRENCE AND JAVIER BARDEM STAR IN ONE OF THE MOST THOUGHT-PROVOKING FILMS OF THE YEAR

mother!

Director Darren Aronofsky’s Visually Arresting Psychological Thriller Comes Home on Digital HD December 5 and on 4K Ultra HD™ and Blu-ray™ Combo Packs December 19, 2017

mother! also boasts a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. In addition, the 4K Ultra HD disc features Dolby Vision™ high dynamic range (HDR), growing Paramount’s library of titles featuring both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Dolby Vision transforms the TV experience in the home by delivering greater brightness and contrast, as well as a fuller palette of rich colors. Together with the captivating sound of Dolby Atmos, consumers will experience both cutting-edge imaging and state-of-the-art sound technology for a fully immersive entertainment experience‡.

The mother! Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English Dolby Atmos (Dolby® TrueHD compatible), French 5.1 Dolby Digital®, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The DVD in the combo pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The combo pack includes access to a Digital HD copy of the film as well as the following:

Blu-ray:
    Feature film in high definition
    Bonus Content:
    mother! The Downward Spiral
    The Makeup FX of mother!

DVD
    Feature film in standard definition

mother! 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack

Fans can enjoy the ultimate viewing experience with the 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack, which includes the Blu-ray Disc™ detailed above, as well as an Ultra HD Disc presented in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision and English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD compatible), French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The Combo Pack also includes access to a Digital HD copy of the film.

mother! Single-Disc DVD

The DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The disc includes the feature film in standard definition.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MotherMovie
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMotherMovie/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MotherMovie/
    iTunes: https://www.po.st

PARAMOUNT PICTURES Presents

A PROTOZOA Production

A Film by DARREN ARONOFSKY

JENNIFER LAWRENCE JAVIER BARDEM “mother!” ED HARRIS MICHELLE PFEIFFER

Costume Designer DANNY GLICKER Edited by ANDREW WEISBLUM, ACE
    Production Designer PHILIP MESSINA Director of Photography MATTHEW LIBATIQUE, ASC
    Executive Producers JEFF WAXMAN JOSH STERN MARK HEYMAN
    Produced by SCOTT FRANKLIN, p.g.a. ARI HANDEL, p.g.a.
    Written and Directed by DARREN ARONOFSKY

Name:  VJ2uvrf8.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  70.3 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!