Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Joker movie is coming (produced by Martin Scorsese and directed by Todd Philips

The trailer really has a Scorsese vibe to it. I’m intrigued and actually considering seeing it in the theatre, which I genuinely haven’t said about a DC movie since Man of Steel, which I unfortunately didn’t get to see that way.

I wish screenwriters would try to find a synonym for "freak". That pejorative seems to pop up in every superhero/comic book movie but that's true of the comics themselves as well.

I'll rent this one. Not sure why we need this story told (again...isn't the Gotham TV show covering the Joker origin right now?) but I've become a big fan of Phoenix ever since THE MASTER so he's the draw for me.

That marquee title for (the fake movie?) STRIP SEARCH seems to have been modeled after the FLESHPOT ON 42nd STREET poster. Too bad they didn't use WATER POWER like in the Batman: Year One comic.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

This looks really interesting. Could be the first DC movie I see in cinema since Dark Knight Rises.

(as for Marvel, the last one I saw in cinema was Blade 2)

This is going to get limited 70mm screenings.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Enjoyed this, Phoenix was fucking great. Very heavily influenced by King of Comedy, Taxi Driver and Fight Club and has a few easter eggs referring directly to them (even to Batman '66). Not quite the masterpiece some are claiming, I felt the DC stuff was a little heavy handed: it could have been a better film if it had nothing to do with Batman and was just an original character study. However, getting the wider public into seeing something this dark by wrapping it up in comic book clothes is pretty subversive.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Enjoyed this, Phoenix was fucking great. Very heavily influenced by King of Comedy, Taxi Driver and Fight Club and has a few easter eggs referring directly to them (even to Batman '66). Not quite the masterpiece some are claiming, I felt the DC stuff was a little heavy handed: it could have been a better film if it had nothing to do with Batman and was just an original character study. However, getting the wider public into seeing something this dark by wrapping it up in comic book clothes is pretty subversive.
    Pretty much agree with everything here only I kind of feel like it is a masterpiece. It always feels ridiculous to untether that word, but fuck - this was an actual thing.

I always felt like Scorsese did The King Of Comedy for those who misunderstood Taxi Driver. This movie plays like those two films directly crossed then filtered through the Joker iconography under the influence of the four Purge movies.

Moe than a little surprised by how dark and subversive this ended up being.

For me, this is ****/**** and among the best comic book movies ever made.

Fucking amazing. So fucking amazing. I loved the fuck out of this. It is an actual masterpiece.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Media Horrified By Lack Of Violence At Joker Screenings

“We found one incident of a guy cheering too loudly at the fictional violence,” said CNN reporter Terrance Shelton, “but that was it. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing we can glom onto and spin into a hot take that reinforces The Narrative. I’m shaken to my core.”
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: The Chameleon / Chameleons (John Leslie, 1989-92)

For me Phoenix is the only real draw, Joker as Bickle would have been an interesting idea as a comic in the 80s, these days, not so much.

I was very hyped up for a Joker-centric movie and I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't perfect, but that's subjective anyway.