Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Pop Cinema & SWV Present Racy Reels From The Something Weird Vault Blu-ray Series!

  1. #41
    I had another look at the FEMALE CHAUVINISTS disc and the tampering with the films is obvious. The soundtrack will fade out completely and be replaced by some inappropriate music. The very first shot in HOT CONNECTIONS looks to be an HD video view of Los Angeles tacked on (to secure copyright?) Who are these incredibly shitty releases supposed to appeal to? I ordered these because I was very interested in the films, but I can't picture a scenario where I would ever give these people another of my dollars. It's particularly sad, because I used to look at SWV as the company that "saved all those movies." This experience has really poisoned the well.

  2. #42
    I am guessing that the slight alterations to these films are so they can be copyrighted, and SWV can prevent others from pirating their HD transfers of these prints? (That would be my assumption, but I don't know for sure). In regards to FEMALE CHAUVINISTS, the alterations are fairly minor so it's not as if the viewing experience is being ruined, or being changed in any fundamental way. Is it ideal? No. Will it prevent others from pirating their releases? I would think so. If the choice is seeing the films this way in HD, or not seeing them at all, I'd rather have the option to own them on Blu-ray. Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever see an obscure sexploitation film like FEMALE CHAUVINISTS on Blu-ray to begin with, so I'm grateful for that.

    The film print used for F.C. is in pretty rough shape, to the point where I'm almost surprised they opted to release this in HD. The version we are presented with is certainly something of an anomaly. The first half of the film is the "soft X" version that was originally released, but then somewhere past the midpoint, those hardcore inserts that were shot after the fact start appearing in a few scenes. I've seen this film in both the "X" and "XXX" versions, but I've never seen this hybrid! I'd certainly be interested in learning the origin of this particular version. It's clear that the few hardcore shots we see are not of the primary actors, so it seems strange that a sorta "half and half" edit of this film exists in the first place. You'd think that the inserts would either be there all the way through the film, or not at all. ??

    Though I can't give either the condition of the print used, nor the existence of some minor tampering with the film, very high marks, I'm nevertheless glad that this obscure film was given the Blu-ray treatment. It certainly bests any previous version of the film I have seen, and the inclusion of HOT CONNECTIONS was a nice bonus. I had never seen HOT CONNECTIONS, and the presence of Rene Bond, Sandy Dempsey, Tallie Cochrane, Lynn Harris, Peggy Church, Margie Lanier, not to mention cameos by James Hong (who also directed this!) and Pat Wright, means that it offers plenty of cult appeal.

    The bonus loop with Uschi Digard was a nice inclusion. I remember it had been a bonus feature on one of those old SWV/Image Entertainment Double Feature DVDs from back in the day, and it looks outstanding here, taken from the negative. (A volume or two of vintage big bust arcade loops from the 60's and 70's, taken from the negatives or high-quality prints, sure would be a nice Blu-ray release someday!)

    Although I can't give this disc an unconditional thumbs up, I'm glad this double feature was released, and I will definitely be picking up the CRIES OF ECSTASY, BLOWS OF DEATH Blu-ray in the near future.

  3. #43
    The prints are from Something Weird but the blu's are authored by Pop Cinema (Mike Raso). Any tampering is done by Pop Cinema who is well known for doing this. I suspect SW either didn't know or went along with it on Raso's advice.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wood View Post
    The prints are from Something Weird but the blu's are authored by Pop Cinema (Mike Raso). Any tampering is done by Pop Cinema who is well known for doing this. I suspect SW either didn't know or went along with it on Raso's advice.
    I do not have knowledge of this guy Mike Raso's history, but I can tell from several comments here that he is not well-liked. So excuse my ignorance, but what would be his rationale for tampering with these films, if it wasn't to be able to place a copyright on a release? It would seem like a waste of time and money. Again, I have no knowledge of his history or practices, but with a title like FEMALE CHAUVINISTS, if it has fallen into the public domain (I do not know if it has or not), if he were to spend the money for an HD transfer, it would seem wise to do something that would allow him to protect his investment. The only alterations I noticed to this particular film were some changes in the music (changes that struck me as neither better nor worse than what we had before; it's not like this had a thoughtfully-composed original score), and one or two visual transitions that were not heavy-handed or interfered with the enjoyment of the film. Previously, the film had ended very abruptly (and clumsily), at least on the prints I had seen, and they added an image of clouds in the sky with "THE END" (quite possibly lifted from another film's End Title screen), which is a slight improvement.

    I am not an advocate of altering films, just to be clear, and I would always prefer to see the film as it originally screened. But if these small changes allowed the film to come out on Blu-ray, it seems like the lesser of two evils by a long shot (the alternative being no Blu-ray at all). And in the case of this particular film, we're talking about a movie that rather crassly had hardcore inserts added to it originally, so talk of protecting "artistic intent of the filmmakers" seems questionable at best, to my mind. I had no previous knowledge of the other film, HOT CONNECTIONS, so I can't comment on that one. As Marshall Crist alluded to previously, there's a rather jarring, modern-looking shot of a cityscape that seems very out-of-place at the very beginning. It's the first thing you see, but thankfully, it only lasts a couple of seconds, and then we're into the film proper. It definitely seems ham-fisted, but is mercifully brief. Other than that, I don't know what alterations may have been made to it.

    But I defer to the wisdom of this group overall, since I lack history with this guy or his label(s). So if I'm missing something here, by all means, enlighten me. My main gripe or issue with FEMALE CHAUVINISTS is the fact that it is the original edit for part of the film, but then suddenly transitions to having some of the hardcore inserts in the latter half. Were two different prints used to create this version, and did this happen unknowingly? Was it done on purpose? If the decision was made to do this on purpose, to create a unique edit of the film that could be copyrighted, then I would have to agree that it was a poor decision. But I don't want to speculate since I have no idea whatsoever.

    I would definitely appreciate hearing from others who have more knowledge of this guy and his practices. I'm also quite curious to hear accounts of the CRIES OF ECSTASY... Blu-ray, to see how it fares in HD. Thanks in advance.

  5. #45
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    45,812
    If I can find my SWV DVD-R of Cries Of Ecstasy, Blows Of Death I'll do a check on the audio changes and any other noticeable changes/cuts for the review I'm working on.

    And Chriszilla, yes, you're probably right as to why the changes were made on this - it's likely to do with retaining copyright. Raso's labels have done this frequently in the past and while I don't particularly like the practice at all, when movies use stolen music as a lot of vintage smut films do, you're taking a risk by releasing it with that stolen music intact.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    If I can find my SWV DVD-R of Cries Of Ecstasy, Blows Of Death I'll do a check on the audio changes and any other noticeable changes/cuts for the review I'm working on.
    Awesome! Much appreciated!


    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    And Chriszilla, yes, you're probably right as to why the changes were made on this - it's likely to do with retaining copyright. Raso's labels have done this frequently in the past and while I don't particularly like the practice at all, when movies use stolen music as a lot of vintage smut films do, you're taking a risk by releasing it with that stolen music intact.
    Thanks for the reply!

  7. #47
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    45,812
    I'll go into full detail in the review, hopefully ready for Monday, but the quick version is that when compared to the SWV DVD-r, Cries Of Ecstasy has added sound effects over the opening few minutes up to the title card. On the DVD-r it's just music playing over the opening rape/attack scene, on the Blu-ray you hear dirt bike noises, some ambient sound effects and a gun shot or two. Also the framing is quite a bit different too (1.78.1 vs 1.33.1). I'll do some comparison caps for the review to show the differences.

    The plus side? Much better detail and no SWV bug in the bottom left corner.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  8. #48
    Senior Member Lalala76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,965
    I watched the Blu-ray of Female Chauvenists last night. Although I have never seen this film before, It is blatantly obvious that music and effects have been replaced in some parts although I didn't find it as annoying as I thought I might. As for the transfer, then also no great surprises. The print is indeed riddled with cuts, splices lines and dirt. However, If one can accept that in a grindhouse sort of way then it is in no means unwatchable as the detail, definition and colour is actually quite decent. The film itself is so so. It is weird though that the first half or more is in the main softcore then especialy during the last third it does indeed go hardcore.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I'll go into full detail in the review, hopefully ready for Monday, but the quick version is that when compared to the SWV DVD-r, Cries Of Ecstasy has added sound effects over the opening few minutes up to the title card. On the DVD-r it's just music playing over the opening rape/attack scene, on the Blu-ray you hear dirt bike noises, some ambient sound effects and a gun shot or two. Also the framing is quite a bit different too (1.78.1 vs 1.33.1). I'll do some comparison caps for the review to show the differences.

    The plus side? Much better detail and no SWV bug in the bottom left corner.

    Thanks for taking the time to do the research. I look forward to the review!

    BTW, a review of the disc that is posted at Mondo Digital confirms that DOUBLE-D EXPERIMENT is indeed merely a retitling of DR. DILDO'S SECRET. Which is a bummer. I was hoping someone had unearthed a rare sexploitation flick from the early 70's.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by chriszilla View Post
    The bonus loop with Uschi Digard was a nice inclusion. I remember it had been a bonus feature on one of those old SWV/Image Entertainment Double Feature DVDs from back in the day, and it looks outstanding here, taken from the negative. (A volume or two of vintage big bust arcade loops from the 60's and 70's, taken from the negatives or high-quality prints, sure would be a nice Blu-ray release someday!)
    I don't have the blu ray, but was curious about the bonus loop with Uschi Digard. According to the Mondo Digital review, it states a 10 minute SD loop. Is it SD or HD?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •