Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 31 Days of Horror part 3: Dream Warriors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

31 Days of Horror part 3: Dream Warriors

Part tres? Part tres. We've done this for the last two years where we try to watch 31 horror films, one each day, for the greatest holiday ever. I have amassed yet another massive 30+ watch list and this gives me a good excuse to go through them.

I thought I'd create this a week in advance to give everyone an appropriate heads up.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Cult of Chucky: the 7th film in the Chucky/Child's Play franchise. I tried watching the 6th one but didn't get too far. This is an interesting one chiefly because of the setting being an asylum. It's actually pretty genius to put Chucky in an asylum and see how he interacts with the patients. Brad Dourif is great and so is his daughter. Jennifer Tilly makes an appearance and she's always fun to watch. Great gore. Easily the goriest film in the series. Surprise, it brings back Andy who hasn't been seen since the 3rd movie. You think that the filmmakers are going somewhere with Andy but in the end, no spoilers, it just kind of lazily ends on a cliffhanger. Fun movie. One of the best in the series. But the ending is not particularly good.

Bad Dreams (1988): I remember seeing the VHS all the time at my local Video King. For some reason I never rented it. This is a title not often brought up despite featuring the great Richard Lynch and the punk chick from Dream Warriors. The 1st act is superb but by the time we get to the 2nd act it settles into your expected body count picture. And then when you think you've figured out what kind of movie it is it goes for a twist that makes it hard to believe it was intended to be a franchise. Good film. Worth checking out especially for fans of Richard Lynch who may have passed by this one. It also features an excellent use of Time Has Come Today.

I swear I did not plan to have a double feature with horror films set in an asylum.

The Witch (2016): I hate to be that guy but I couldn't understand what the actors were saying half the time. Possess (heh) great horror imagery and is a fairly unique take on witches. But the glacial pacing ultimately takes the piss out of it. I don't regret seeing it but I don't think it's a requirement to watch not unless you're into witch movies.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Cult of Chucky: Surprise, it brings back Andy who hasn't been seen since the 3rd movie.
    There's actually a post-end credits scene in CURSE that shows how Andy came into possession of the OG Chucky doll (and why it's in the shape it is at the beginning of CULT).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    There's actually a post-end credits scene in CURSE that shows how Andy came into possession of the OG Chucky doll (and why it's in the shape it is at the beginning of CULT).
    Sigh. Why does everything have to rip off Marvel now?

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Sigh. Why does everything have to rip off Marvel now?
    There's also one after the end credits for CULT. Did you see it?

I saw WITCH in the theater and recall thinking I might re watch @ home WITH SUBTITLES
    The re creation of the period language was a bit too convincing.
    Didn't really love it despite some effective sections, disliked the finale.

NEON MANIACS - Weird '80s horror about a group of deformed guys (and an out-of-place one-eyed monster) who come out of nowhere and slaughter a group of partying teens. The one survivor must deal with the aftermath and try to convince the skeptical townspeople that the neon maniacs were responsible. I thought the maniacs were creepy during the first attack, but they become less menacing when it's discovered how easily they can be killed. There's an excellent scene where one of the killed teens' hysterical parents calls the survivor on the phone begging to know what really happened to her daughter - it's sad and effective. Also of note is the inexplicable casting of a small 22 year old woman in the role of a 13 or 14 year old; it's bizarre seeing her riding around on a little pink bike wearing a crooked baseball hat and kid clothes. Really inappropriate end theme over the credits, too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bernhard View Post
    I saw WITCH in the theater and recall thinking I might re watch @ home WITH SUBTITLES
    The re creation of the period language was a bit too convincing.
    Didn't really love it despite some effective sections, disliked the finale.

Glad I wasn't the only one. I instantly flashed back to when I was about nine and saw the Amicus Tales From the Crypt movie and had difficulty understanding the accents. Upon a re-watch when I was about thirteen or so I had no difficulty.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Day one - A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Raf A. View Post
    Day one - A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Classics never die.

Alejandro Jodorowsky