Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: 31 Days of Horror part 3: Dream Warriors

Day 28 Black Magic (1944)

Title-Black Magic AKA Charlie Chan in Meeting at Midnight
    Source-DVD rip on YouTube

Before this film I had never seen an entire Charlie Chan film. Sure I knew of the Chinese detective and had seen his ups Hanna Barbara cartoon. Thanks to a few parodies I even knew some of the tropes in the Chan film series.

Black Magic was from after the series went from Fox to Monogram. Going in I knew since it was a Monogram film it would be low budget. There is a reason Monogram was considered one of the Poverty Row Studios. Black Magic is also the only Chan film with a decent amount of spooky/horror elements.

At a seance, attended by Chan's daughter Francis, a ghost appears and someone is shot and killed. Charlie is called in to help solve the murder.

Normally in the Chan films Charlie is assisted by one of his many sons,IIRC Charlie mentions having 14 kids,but in Black Magic we get the one film in the series that his daughter is his assistant.

We get a ghost,2 spooky seance, a skeleton,hypnosis and a disappearing bullet. Oh and someone jumping to their death off a skyscraper,while hypnotized.

Running a bit over an hour this was a fun way to pass the time. And I was surprised how much was packed into a short time.

Black Magic gets a B+

Watched a few sci-fi films on TCM: Logan's Run (last hour) & THX-1138 (I find this film to be just as weird as when I saw it as a teenager); Village of the Damned (this must have been disturbing to film goers in 1960) & Children of the Damned (not very good but the scene with the kids performing industrial music with a tone generator & organ is great!). Also, season finale of Channel Zero: No End House on Syfy. I give them credit for being weird & never going over the top like Am.Horror Story. The eating scenes were kind of gross.

Watching Right Now: House of Dark Shadows
    Last edited by Keeth; 10-28-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Got through a couple last night. Firstly Polselli's Monster at the Opera or whatever it was called. Of the many Italian movies at the time featuring a troupe of dancers who run around a spooky old building in diaphanous night gowns this one is one of the best. There some seriously great camera work here, very dynamic stuff for a film of this type. It's lacking a great dance sequence which a film like this should have but otherwise solid stuff.

Backed that up with Castle Of The Creeping Flesh. Now I'm not even arguably the world's biggest Seven Women For Satan fan andgiven the cast and costumes I had been hoping this was a kind of sister film to that one. No dice. No real similarities here at all. Then I realised they were shot 7 years apart. Fuck... Lemoine must have been wearing that dodgy yellow turtleneck, brown suit ensemble for close to a decade... They made clothes to last back then. Don't want to knock it too badly cause I was drifting off at the time and was unfocused but I was, I have to admit, bored off my tits.

Day 29 The Children

Kids get exposed to toxic gas and develop black fingernails and hugs that burn flesh.

C+

Last night: Burial Ground
    This morning: Silent House

Stranger Things season 2.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Day 28 - Re-Animator
    Day 29 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black

10/29- The Witches
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Day 30 Dead and Rottening

From the period when JR Bookwalter's Tempe Films had taken over the production of Full Moons movies. This is a fairly simple revenge tale. Starring Debbie Rochon and Trent Haaga.

B

Day 30 - In the Mouth of Madness