Thread: The Gregory Dark Thread

The Gregory Dark Thread

Ever since Rialto released their interview with Dark a few months back I've went back through a good portion of his work, even some of his music videos, which has proven to be very rewarding. While his hardcore work is legendary with the likes of the New Wave Hookers films and The Devil in Miss Jones 3-5, I find his best stuff to be the series of erotic thrillers he did in the 90's. The Animal Instincts and Secret Games trilogies, both Mirror Images films, Object of Obsession and Body of Influence are all terrific. Animal Instincts 2 just might be his best. They all fulfill the various quotas the late night thrillers of the day required, but they also subvert the formula with (pun intended) very dark storylines and themes and naturally are stylish as all hell.

Then of course there's See No Evil, the slasher starring fucking Kane from the WWE. Incredibly fun movie, though I do think the direction gets a bit too heavy handed at times, he really let the music video influence come to the forefront which can get a bit distracting but overall its a solid slasher that might not reinvent the wheel but actually does some interesting things with its victimology that might take some people by surprise. And Kane chokeslams someone to death.

Anyone seen his action/sci-fi hybrids Dead Man Walking or Street Asylum?
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 10-29-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

I liked both but thought STREET ASYLUM was the better film. Both were financed by VCA so I wonder if Hustler now owns them? Anyway, both are worth watching. I also liked his most recent film FRENEMY (or LITTLE FISH, STRANGE POND). A sort of odd comedy that never really got much attention.

I remember when see no evil was released but I never saw it will have to check it out. I wish his adult films could get a boxset release by vinegar syndrome new wave boomers is so funny and devil in miss jones 3 I think it was had the hottest scene with Vanessa del Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by Fundi View Post
    I remember when see no evil was released but I never saw it will have to check it out. I wish his adult films could get a boxset release by vinegar syndrome new wave boomers is so funny and devil in miss jones 3 I think it was had the hottest scene with Vanessa del Rio.
    See No Evil was fun. Not particularly original and overdone at times, but like Tom says, Kane is pretty fun to watch in it and it has some good kills and a nice setting.

The sequel by the Soska Sisters though? It's fun, but basically a complete rehash of the first movie. Some decent kills but remarkably unoriginal.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!