Thread: A Better Tomorrow (2018)

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Is this another remake?

I guess so.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The John Woo version itself was supposed to be a remake of The Story of a Discharged Prisoner. Not that I've seen it.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Seems HK cinema is doing the re-make thing, Not only this one but there are many other films they are remaking this year, The Adventurers is another one.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I saw this last week and can say two positive things about it. 1) it's better than the South Korean remake from a few years ago, 2) the trailer they showed of Dante Lam's OPERATION RED SEA looked pretty bad ass.

so yep, that's about all the positives. There was some material there to have made a halfway decent remake but the director/screenwriter botched it very badly. The shootout at the Japanese teahouse with the sumo wrestlers could've been epic but they bungled that one and Ding Sheng was so eager to parrot the "heroic bloodshed" finale of the original that it was farcical. Taiwanese actor, Ta Lu Wang was the Chow Yun-fat Mark character here and he was terribly miscast. All the swagger and bravado he portrayed in the beginning was comical and the stupid gay ass man bun he was sporting didn't help matters.

Bottomline avoid this muck and wait for the follow up to OPERATION MEKONG due out in a couple months.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"