Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Shot On Video Horror Movies

Essential Shot On Video Horror Movies

So the whole Sledgehammer thread got me thinking that there are probably a lot of shot on video horror movies from the 80s and 90s that are endlessly entertaining and in the same vein - call'em so bad they're good if you want, it doesn't matter.

So let's throw out some titles, there have got to be a few some of us haven't experienced yet.

Aside from Sledgehammer these come to mind:

Things - this is already out through Barry J. Gillis himself with a bunch of extras that make about as much sense as the movie. The 'plot' follows some guys in a house who spend a lot of time looking in the cupboards and drinking beer and having nonsensical conversations. A guy in the basement wants a naked lady in a mask to have his baby while Amber Lynn delivers news that has nothing to do with anything else in the film. This movie makes me proud to be a Canadian.

Truth Or Dare - Tim Ritter made a lot of wacky shot on video films but this it the wackiest of his filmography that I've seen. It's mind numbingly stupid and endlessly hilarious and plenty gory. It also features the line 'keep listening to your jive ass music' which has somehow found its way into my day to day life.

The Necro Files - cops talk about fucking tacos and fucking chase down a fucking crazy killer resurrected from the fucking dead with a giant fucking dick. I think we started a thread on this a few months ago. The sequel is ok but not as good.

The Secret Life Of Jeffrey Dahmer - Intervision is putting this out soon, I started a thread on it too but I expect great things from this movie.

Once, a few years back, I got drunk at Noland's house where he made me watch an amazing no budget video wonder that had 'Woods' in the title but I don't know what it was called. Noland, please fill us in on whatever that was.

Boardinghouse - I have this but have yet to watch it. I have never seen this movie. I need to. I know I need to. But I'm kinda scared of it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I would be happy to sit with you and help you through Boarding House. You will love it. I can not think of any others not mentioned. I know I've seen a bunch though. I have Microwave Massacre but have not watched it yet.

I forgot about Microwave Massacre. That one is pretty classic. Woodchipper Massacre is pretty good too.

Wasn't There's Nothing Out There SOV? I can't remember. Oh no, I think it was 16mm.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I saw a bunch of this stuff back in the late eighties, when they were clamouring for loads of product to release on home video. A lot of it was licenced by the UK's Medusa Pictures/Communications and released here through Fox. But do you think I can remember the names of any of those films? Nope. Mind you, they were all pretty frickin' terrible. There was one about a masked killer in a show resort, and another about a witch/demon possession/some such nonsense that was full of boobies and people in hot-tubs. I'm sure one of you bad movie gurus knows the films I'm referring to?

was that the one with Wednesday Addams in it? Shows her boobs. Nice too.

Ian, I don't rightly recall if There's Nothing Out There was SOV or not, but I'm pretty sure it was DTV.

I just checked, it was definintely 16mm.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jordan View Post
    I have Microwave Massacre but have not watched it yet.
    What the fuck is wrong with you??

It's been a while, but I don't recall Microwave Massacre being SOV.

It's definitely not SOV.

What's wrong with me? Slavedriver Cottonchops makes me watch stuff for him. What my own movies? Got no time for that crap!

The DVD cover for Microwave Massacre shows screen caps that sure look like SOV. They look incredibly shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jordan View Post
    The DVD cover for Microwave Massacre shows screen caps that sure look like SOV. They look incredibly shitty.
    That's your reflection.