Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severin Releasing Jack The Ripper (1959) As Black Friday Exclusive

Severin Releasing Jack The Ripper (1959) As Black Friday Exclusive

This popped up on their FB page today...

Name:  23379982_10159642622525038_2550883457463023386_n.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  68.2 KB

....which seems to be taken from this novel (not my find, someone on FB posted it).

Name:  23244473_1455947834525358_6999284087184981488_n.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  44.1 KB

Note that it mentions Joseph Levine as the producer, which means it's probably this one as he distributed it in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_t...er_(1959_film)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  DOyYL3HVoAEeW6T.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  78.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Some more details.

JACK THE RIPPER (1959) D: Robert S. Baker & Monty Berman

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL!

LIMITED EDITION OF 1500 BLU-RAY WITH BONUS DVD & EXCLUSIVE SLIP CASE

Three versions of the movie (British Version from 1080 telecine, US Version 2k scan of archival print, Bonus DVD of the European Version assembled from British Version and only known tape source of salacious alternate/extended scenes) PLUS a host of exclusive bonus features including full audio commentary with the late British film legends: co director Robert S. Baker and Hammer screenwriter Jimmy Sangster with Assistant Director Peter Manley; Interview with Denis Meikle, author of "Jack the Ripper, The Murders & The Movies"; all new documentary short 'Gentleman Jack - The Whitechapel Murders Revisited' and more! The limited edition also comes with an Exclusive slip case with the lurid paperback movie tie-in artwork. The regular inner wrap is reversible with two different vintage poster designs.

In 1959, legendary showman Joseph E. Levine bought this grisly UK thriller to unleash on American moviegoers. But when audiences were horrified by the film’s startling violence, it became one of Levine’s most notorious failures. Today – in its original UK theatrical cut, the American version with a brassy new score, and the ooh-la- la European edition – it remains among the most under appreciated and provocative shockers of its time. Eddie Byrne (THE MUMMY), Lee Patterson (TV’s SURFSIDE 6) and Betty McDowall (FIRST MEN IN THE MOON) star in this lurid classic produced/directed by Robert S. Baker & Monty Berman (THE HELLFIRE CLUB, BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE) and written by Hammer Films’ legendary Jimmy Sangster (THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, HORROR OF DRACULA) that FilmFracture.com calls “the perfect combination of murder mystery and horror film with just the right amount of lovely ladies!”

AVAILABLE BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND (regular cover / single disc edition released in 2018, any leftovers of Limited Edition will not be available until regular edition streets).

JACK THE RIPPER Special Features:
    British Version
    US Version
    Audio Commentary With Co-Director/Co-Producer/Co-Cinematographer Robert S. Baker, Screenwriter Jimmy Sangster, Assistant Director Peter Manley, Moderated By British Horror Historian Marcus Hearn
    Alternate/Extended Continental Takes
    Interview With Denis Meikle, Author of "Jack The Ripper: The Murders And The Movies"
    Gentleman Jack - The Whitechapel Murders Revisited Featurette
    Theatrical Trailer
    Poster And Still Gallery

BONUS DVD:
    European Cut
    The Two Faces Of Jack L'Eventreur - An Interview With Re-Release Supervisor Alain Petit
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    I bought this during the Black Friday sale, and have a question for those of you who have seen it: Which version should I see? I usually don't watch more than one cut of any film, unless it's a personal favourite like Blade Runner, so I tend to gravitate towards original theatrical cuts whenever I believe that was the director's vision when it was released. I'm not much for the so called Director's Cuts of old films that have cropped up on home video in recent years, as they tend to be highly revisonistic takes and marketing ploys. Sometimes these things are complicated though, and sometimes, like now, I just have no idea which version is considered the director's preferred cut. So should I see the UK version or one of the others because of more violence and tiddies?
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

90% sold out according to Severin's facebook page

I jumped in when I read the fine print, that any leftovers would not be sold until the standard edition streets, and then at an elevated price.
    Looks now like they may sell out tomorrow.

Regarding cuts of the film, the UK release suffered from censor cuts via the BBFC.
    The US version is I think uncut ( director's cut ) and was shown with a color insert at the end not present in other releases,
    but was re-scored for the USA. Color insert may have been the US distributor Joe Levine's idea.

The Continental version should be uncut but contains uncovered takes of scenes.
    I have never seen it myself ( but heard it described ) so this is a true rarity.
    Murder scenes may be a little stronger, no gore but edited differently for stronger impact.

TLDR version:
    Watch US version, then Continental. UK if you are curious.
    The commentary should be interesting as Sangster was still pretty sharp when he recorded that one, and it's never been heard since.

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Thanks for the breakdown, John. It would seem there is no ideal director's cut in existence. Will begin with the US version, as you suggest.
    Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!

Black Friday edition is completely sold out.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Has anybody got the Black Friday Edition yet? Bought mine on November 28, but I haven't heard anything from Severin so far. Do they send a shipping notice?

I got a shipping notice a few days ago for the rest of my black friday order, it did not mention jack the ripper so i assume that is still waiting. i am wondering whats going on with that title as well. Severin's update procedures are not the best and their Facebook does not mention it. i think the last i heard via their facebook they were due at the end of this week (4th-5th Jan) but that might have slipped now which is why they dispatched the other items i ordered??