Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waits' 1970's Elektra/Asylum Catalog Re-Issues

Tom Waits' 1970's Elektra/Asylum Catalog Re-Issues

https://www.kingsroadmerch.com/tom-waits/

Closing Time out 3/9 with the others to follow.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Fidelity (Andrzej Zulawski, 2000)

Finally! I've been waiting for these for years. These early albums are in dire need of remastering. Closing Time was the first Waits album I ever brought (circa 2001). I'd heard some Waits pieces before and I had no idea where to start, so I remember going to Virgin Megastore and just choosing the one with the best cover-art. I didn't even know it was his debut album - and I remember being shocked how young and un-gruff his voice sounded. But it was a good place to start and allowed me to follow his career chronologically from there on in. Love the Nighthawks album as well, which is practically a stand-up comedy routine at times. I might even save up for the vinyl on that one!

Nice. Love to be able to get closing time for a decent price

All are now available from the official Waits store: https://kingsroadmerch.com/tom-waits/

I grabbed closing time a couple weeks ago. It was not expensive, and it's a quality product. Sounds great.

I've always loved this album. It's Wait's debut, but already his Beatnik persona - skid row poet with a line in tarnished romanticism - is fully-formed. Critics may scoff at it's more sentimental aspects, like Martha, but I don't think Waits ever again wore his heart on his sleeve quite like he does here. Love the sound of the creaking chair on the title-track too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
    I've always loved this album. It's Wait's debut, but already his Beatnik persona - skid row poet with a line in tarnished romanticism - is fully-formed. Critics may scoff at it's more sentimental aspects, like Martha, but I don't think Waits ever again wore his heart on his sleeve quite like he does here. Love the sound of the creaking chair on the title-track too!
    "Martha" is fantastic! Heartbreaking song. My favorite on Closing Time though is "I Hope I Don't Fall in Love With You". Fairly sure anyone who's spent way to long at a bar on any given night can relate to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    "Martha" is fantastic! Heartbreaking song. My favorite on Closing Time though is "I Hope I Don't Fall in Love With You". Fairly sure anyone who's spent way to long at a bar on any given night can relate to that one.
    Yeah, that one and Old 55 are my favourite Waits songs ever

The Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards set is getting three individual releases as an RSD exclusive.

Will probably only cost 180 dollars for the set