Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vincent Price.... And you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I've told this story before, but i'll tell it again....a guy that i worked with, now retired, used to work as stage crew at a theatre. Price was playing one of the roles and was at the theatre for a week or so. The crew, every night after the performance, would hang out backstage and play cards, smoke cigars, and drink scotch. He told me that once Price found out that this was going on, a couple of days into the run, he would always come to the card games and sit and play with them, and that he was one of the nicest, classiest guys that you could ever hope to meet, with a lot of appreciation for the crew that was running the show for him. I like that story.
    That is a great story. It's not like there's a ton of modern stars that would do anything like this. One of the few stars who was truly a class act. Price rules!

Has anyone got their Witchfinder General BD yet? If so, I have a question: does the disc have any subtitles on it? The reason I ask, and one of the reasons I am becoming less and less trusting of half-arsed online reviews written to curry favour with distributors, is that I've read half a dozen reviews of the disc online...and half say it has subs, where the others say it doesn't.

Some claim English SDH subs -- others say no subtitles of any kind at all. When I downloaded the disc profile to my DVD Profiler, it lists English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles in the specs. Either no-one online knows what they're reviewing, or the reviews were just slapped together without much thought beyond the main feature itself. I don't know if it's just me, but there's getting to be less and less review sites that you can trust for accurate material these days over arse-kissing PR spin...

Edit: Just got mine today -- no subs! But that's okay...lossless audio makes up for it in the clarity stakes.
    Last edited by Mike T; 06-30-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Oh yeah...on the Witchfinder BD there's a little short snippet of Vincent Price's segment from an episode of Aspel & Company (Brit TV show); it's only short, at about ten minutes, but there's a little piece of magic there in Mike's interview with Price. Especially Price's amazingly straight-faced putdown at the end of the interview. It's a VERY funny ten minutes and something I'm sure all Price fans on the other side of the pond will love to see. Oddly enough, memory kicked in and I recalled some of the stories and jokes, so it must have played TV here in Oz in my teens.

So Last Man On Earth is out on Blu-ray - Yay! But according to DVD Beaver the Blu-ray is pretty shitty - Boo!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I don't know...I'd say that there's markedly more detail in any of those screenshots they've provided than anything else on those pages.
    But then, DVD Beaver isn't the pitstop for accurate info anymore that it used to claim to be, so I take anything they say these days with a very LARGE pinch of salt.
    (ie: Eric Cotenas' assertion in a recent review that British spherical widescreen standard is 1.75 is completely and utterly WRONG; 1.85 is spherical standard globally)

It does look better (and they say so in their text) but if you look at those caps, you can't miss the edge enhancement. It's pretty bad.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well, such are the trials and tribulations of a film that fell into the public domain in the US and is probably only available in shit quality source materials thanks to that...

Maybe some day MGM will give it a BD release from their vault elements. They did on DVD.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Or maybe it might get licenced out to someone else, ala Withfinder General and The Vampire Lovers (which, btw, has been listed at a RRP of $21.95AUD). But anyway...

We did get good versions of The Brain That Wouldn't Die and Night Of The Living Dead on Blu-ray despite their PD status, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I could see Cultra, the guys who did The Terror, take it on and possibly doing a better job with it (though their transfers weren't perfect either).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!