Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deep Red Blu-ray from Blue Underground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Kay, get on to the stuff about the audio, the ending, the subtitles....any flaws? Subs appearing before the lines? Chopped audio? Freeze frame endings? The disc looks great, and it's one that i'll definitely pick up.
    Did you really expect Lustig to screw this one up?

Unlike that problematical "other" company BU almost always get it right. Funnily enough the only transfers that I think don't look that great are Lustig's own films UNCLE SAM and MANIAC. Have not seen STENDHAL so cannot comment there but VIGILANTE at least looks fine.

This looks like the DEFINITIVE DEEP RED set and I cannot wait for it.

It's light on extras, that's really the only complaint I can levy. But like Mike says, it's the movie that matters, and it looks and sounds very good here.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Street?

5/17, currently $14.99 at Amazon. Can't argue with that price.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Cum next DDD sale I'm there...Actually, our dollar is so strong, i get 10% discount on top of the other discounts...!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Casey View Post
    Do a screenshot of the lizard for Mike and Todd.
    Hahahahaha!! Oh that's so funny!!!

Asshole.

Just joshin', PC. I know exactly when to look away from said skewered Jeweled Lacerta. (I saw it briefly before I could look away the first time and it's seared into my head so badly that I could ID the species.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Howlett View Post
    Just joshin', PC. I know exactly when to look away from said skewered Jeweled Lacerta. (I saw it briefly before I could look away the first time and it's seared into my head so badly that I could ID the species.)
    And yet, after years of being censored under the Animal Cruelty Act in the UK Arrow Video managed to get the scene past the BBFC with a (spurious) notation from Argento that the scene was just a clever special effect. Which, TBH, I think is a perfect lie. It seems pretty clear to me that the lizard was impaled, just by its flailing and the way the pin doesn't bend. Never been a fan of that scene -- though it makes a point about the cruelty of the child, it was unnecessary and could have been as easily achieved with a dummy cat or bird with soemthing nasty done to it.

Animal cruelty should always be faked, in my opinion, but what's done is done. I don't enjoy scenes like that or those in the various cannibal or mondo films that I own and appreciate, but I'm not the type to skip them or want to watch a cut version. That said, I completely understand why others might want a version that didn't include those scenes as I totally understand why you wouldn't want to watch them.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Animal cruelty should always be faked, in my opinion, but what's done is done.
    Indeed. But my point was, even though it seems highly apparent the little lizard was messed up for real, Arrow managed to sneak it past the BBFC for their release with the misnomer that it was faked. I don't see any obvious little band or collar around its neck, or item on the ground fixing it in place, that says: yeah, we didn't really do this.

Otherwise, as you said: what's done is done. Can't go back and change the way any of these films were made now, thirty plus years on. We all know I'm a great fan of the Italian cannibal films, so obviously it's not a huge issue to me. I'm just a latter day tree hugger who thinks life is precious, whether you're an ant or a giant.

I'm with you on that last point.

As far as Arrow getting it through uncut, if they're caught in the lie I'd imagine that would be bad for them and there would be some issues with the BBFC to deal with in that regard. If not, well, the BBFC are a bunch of antiquated ninnies anyway, and cutting something like Deep Red seems silly to me.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!