Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deep Red Blu-ray from Blue Underground

Okay, in case you didn't know, i'm reviewing this title for RSP, and had a chance to crack open the disc and check things out this evening. Though my "analysis" is far from complete, what i can tell you is that i've checked out some of the flaws that were mentioned in reputable reviews of Arrow's disc, and here's what's what:

1. The severe pixel noise that occurs at 45:27 or whatever of the Arrow blu-ray does not exist on the Blue Underground disc
    2. The subs on the Blue Underground disc are not ahead of the audio as some have reported on the Arrow disc
    3. The visual issues that were later identified as a reflection from the camera lens are present here, but not a flaw in the mastering
    4. When watching Profondo Rosso with the English track, and no subtitles chosen, English subs automatically pop up for the parts that weren't dubbed in English, a problem that was reported with the Arrow disc.
    5. There is a slight change, though very noticeable, in the picture when the "extended" undubbed footage kicks in. I dont' know what that means, exactly, but it's there.
    6. the film looks stunning. Fans of the Goblin score will really dig this Italian 7.1 track (even though i'm not set up for 7.1 at my new place), even though the music snob in me says that the bass is compressed slightly.
    7. There are some instances of print damage and a little bit of dirt, but nothing to detract from enjoying it. and there definitely wasn't an overuse of DNR. Grain enthusiasts will love this shit. :D

This is one instance where I'll support American economy over UK economy. But I pre-ordered the Arrow of Tenebre coz who knows when BU will release it!

Not that much of a fan of Argento outside of Deep Red...but they did say "who knows when BU will release Deep Red" and some people were speculating 2012...

So, the big question remains...where should we put a thread on Blue Underground's Blu-rays, as I think they deserve a topic all of their own?

The exploitation forum would be fine. It if delves into Euro releases or anything off topic, I think we'll all manage.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Freak-O-Rama has shot a bunch of new DEEP RED featurettes. Since Arrow has already re-released DEEP RED, I doubt that these are for them. And since they are titled in English, I would guess they are for a Blue Underground re-release.

Looks like Arrow is releasing this in the US on April 10th. So who knows who those new special features Freak-O-Rama are for.

Full specs and cover art:

NEW US / CANADA TITLE: Deep Red (Limited Edition Blu-ray)

From Dario Argento comes Deep Red – the ultimate giallo movie.

Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://bit.ly/2DEpPhN

Release date: 10th April 2018

From Dario Argento, maestro of the macabre and the man behind some of the greatest excursions in Italian horror (Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), comes Deep Red – the ultimate giallo movie.

One night, musician Marcus Daly (David Hemmings, Blow Up), looking up from the street below, witnesses the brutal axe murder of a woman in her apartment. Racing to the scene, Marcus just manages to miss the perpetrator… or does he? As he takes on the role of amateur sleuth, Marcus finds himself ensnared in a bizarre web of murder and mystery where nothing is what it seems…

Aided by a throbbing score from regular Argento collaborators Goblin, Deep Red (aka Profondo Rosso and The Hatchet Murders) is a hallucinatory fever dream of a giallo punctuated by some of the most astonishing set-pieces the sub-genre has to offer.

2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of two versions of the film
    • Original Italian soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
    • Optional surround sound remix of the Italian soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1
    • Original English soundtrack in lossless DTS-HA MA mono 1.0*
    • English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
    • 6 postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
    • Reversible fold-out poster featuring two original artworks
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
    • Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film, and an archival essay by Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills

DEEP RED: ORIGINAL VERSION (BLU-RAY DISC 1):

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
    • Audio commentary by filmmaker and Argento expert Thomas Rostock
    • Introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
    • Profondo Giallo, a new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie featuring an in-depth appreciation of Deep Red, its themes and its legacy
    • Rosso Recollections: Dario Argento’s Deep Genius – the Deep Red director on the creation of a giallo masterpiece
    • The Lady in Red: Daria Nicolodi Remembers Profondo Rosso
    • Music to Murder For! Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red
    • Profondo Rosso: From Celluloid to Shop – a tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
    • Italian theatrical trailer

DEEP RED: EXPORT VERSION (BLU-RAY DISC 2) [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]:

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
    • US theatrical trailer

* The English audio track on the original, longer cut has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was either never recorded or has been lost. As such, these sequences are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English.

Name:  deep.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  62.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!