Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alita: Battle Angel

Alita: Battle Angel

"Visionary filmmakers James Cameron (AVATAR) and Robert Rodriguez (SIN CITY) create a groundbreaking new heroine in ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL, an action-packed story of hope, love and empowerment. Set several centuries in the future, the abandoned Alita (Rosa Salazar) is found in the scrapyard of Iron City by Ido (Christoph Waltz), a compassionate cyber-doctor who takes the unconscious cyborg Alita to his clinic. When Alita awakens she has no memory of who she is, nor does she have any recognition of the world she finds herself in. Everything is new to Alita, every experience a first. As she learns to navigate her new life and the treacherous streets of Iron City, Ido tries to shield Alita from her mysterious past while her street-smart new friend, Hugo (Keean Johnson), offers instead to help trigger her memories. A growing affection develops between the two until deadly forces come after Alita and threaten her newfound relationships. It is then that Alita discovers she has extraordinary fighting abilities that could be used to save the friends and family she’s grown to love. Determined to uncover the truth behind her origin, Alita sets out on a journey that will lead her to take on the injustices of this dark, corrupt world, and discover that one young woman can change the world in which she lives."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

We waited for god knows how long for this thing and it looks like a video game?

Pass.

The fucking android coming out in 2 years looks more realistic:

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Yeah, that looked like total shit.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

After viewing the trailer, the CGI looks underwhelming. Why not use a real actress?

Its Jar Jar binks all over again!!!!
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

James Cameron can rot in hell for blocking English reprints of the comic and rereleases of the anime version in western markets for over 20 fucking years.

For some reason Google's algorithms think I'm fascinated by Alita. Rarely a day goes by where they don't push an Alita story at me and despite myself I've kind of gotten interested in the stories running in the back of this film. The #alitaarmy phenomenon has to be to be the weirdest thing to happen to the internet in a while. That this very inoffensive sci fi flick has become a rallying point for the alt right is a hard one to get your head around because there's nothing right wing about this film at all (if you weren't following the story the short version is that angry men love this film because Bree Larson's not in it).

Anyway, curiosity finally got the better of me and I gave the film a look. It's fine I guess. A bit old fashioned if truth be told. It's out the door in under 2 hours and doesn't have the deluge of "clever" quips that every other blockbuster comes with these days. In fact it's an oddly sincere film but I guess Cameron has always been big on that. The special effects are pretty special for a change. I think I recognise some of the models used for the cityscapes but that's not unusual these days. I didn't like Alita herself though. She sits at the wrong end of the uncanny valley and I found the vocal performance for her kind of obnoxious. The film doesn't really end either. It's left open for the sequels which we're unlikely to get now unless the #alitaarmy really get a lot better at what they're doing than they have been so far. And I guess I kind of helped the cause with my $7 rental of the film...
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Yes! Google pushed that article at me yesterday. That guys a case in point though. He writes some fucking wierd stuff.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I picked up the first volume of the manga. The artwork is distinctive and dynamic, not as generic as so much commerical manga. The story is no great shakes so far but not bad.