Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: R.I.P. Mark Tenser

  1. #1
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    45,351

    R.I.P. Mark Tenser

    The man behind Crown International has passed away.

    "His indie company found a profitable niche in the 1970s and '80s with exploitative flicks like 'The Pom Pom Girls,' 'The Van' and 'My Tutor.'

    Mark Tenser, the savvy movie executive who transformed Crown International Pictures from an unremarkable independent film company into an exploitation powerhouse in the 1970s and '80s, has died."

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ebook_20180104
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Posts
    335
    Sorry to hear that. The studio's films, especially THE YOUNG GRADUATES, THE BABYSITTER, and CINDY AND DONNA have afforded me many hours of pleasure over the decades, starting in the early 1970's. it's a wonderfully eclectic library of pictures.

  3. #3
    Flattery and foreplay Ian Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    465
    Just the fact that the article shows an apparent awareness (whether based on the writer actually viewing the film or not) of the true nature of MALIBU HIGH is kind of startling.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Backwoods Mississippi
    Posts
    1,537
    I didn't discover Crown until the dying days of BCI. Feel in love with a few of the Crown features, with Van Nuys BLVD being my favorite.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Posts
    335
    I think there have been about 20 books about Roger Corman and/or AIP. I wish somebody would do a book about Crown International Pictures.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Miller View Post
    Just the fact that the article shows an apparent awareness (whether based on the writer actually viewing the film or not) of the true nature of MALIBU HIGH is kind of startling.
    I find film writers are much more knowledgable of genre and exploition films these days, they grew up in the same video stores stocked with B-classics that we did afterall.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
    I think there have been about 20 books about Roger Corman and/or AIP. I wish somebody would do a book about Crown International Pictures.
    I think a fellow member was writing one, Mike Howlett who wrote The Weird world of Eerie publications.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
    I think a fellow member was writing one, Mike Howlett who wrote The Weird world of Eerie publications.
    I had put my Crown project on the back burner a few years ago to work on other things and have yet to dust it off and start again. Perhaps with the passing of Tenser (who never returned queries or took phone calls from me) I will get back in the groove.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Posts
    335
    The story of Crown International really hasn't been told. I hope very much that you resurrect this project.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Howlett View Post
    I had put my Crown project on the back burner a few years ago to work on other things and have yet to dust it off and start again. Perhaps with the passing of Tenser (who never returned queries or took phone calls from me) I will get back in the groove.
    That's unfortunate Mike, I've always kept that bit of info in the back of my mind hoping one day we would see a book on the subject from you. Hopefully you can find the energy to get back to it one day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •