Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slaughter High and The Funhouse coming from Arrow

Slaughter High and The Funhouse coming from Arrow

From Cult Labs' press release:

When the alumni of an all-American high school make a trip to attend a class reunion, they reconnect with their pasts in ways more bloody and fatal than they could possibly imagine in the 80s slasher classic Slaughter High.

On arrival, they discover the school shuttered and in disrepair, as if the reunion were just a ruse to drag them back. Still, the old pupils decide to break in and celebrate anyway. A deadly error considering that Marty, the nerd whose teenage life they made a living hell, is lurking in the dank, dark corridors, waiting to bring fear, torment and slicing, dicing murder to each and every one of them.

A Stalk ‘n’ Slash video store classic from the golden era of bottom shelf horror starring scream queen Caroline Munro (Maniac, The Last Horror Film).

THIS EDITION CONTAINS
    - Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
    - Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
    - Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by author Troy Howarth, an interview with legendary composer Harry Manfredini by Calum Waddell and an interview with star Josephine Scandi by Justin Kerswell

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    - Available on DVD for the first time in the UK!
    - Introduction by co-writer/ co-director Mark Ezra
    - Jesters and Jolts: Interview with co-writer/co-director Mark Ezra
    - Lamb to the Slaughter: The Scream Queen Career of Caroline Munro
    - Audio Commentary with star Caroline Munro, DVD World editor Allan Bryce and author and critic Calum Waddell
    - Audio Commentary with co-writer/ co-director Mark Ezra moderated by Teenage Wasteland author J. A. Kerswell

Original art by Graham Humphreys – grahamhumphreys.com

DVD feature running time 87 mins
    DVD Region 0 PAL
    DVD RRP £15.99
    Release date 11th July 2011
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The carnival is a place for fun and laughter, but not for Amy and her friends. When their childish dare to stay all night in the spooky funhouse backfires, it leaves a trail of dismembered teenagers a mile long in Tobe Hooper’s classic video nasty era slasher.
    Will anyone escape the clutches of the stumbling madman that stalks to sideshow? Is there no end to the carnival barkers chilling sadism? The only way to find out is ascend into the funhouse, where the games have no rules and the only prize on offer is a grisly demise.

Join us in The Funhouse. So much fun that you’ll never leave...Alive!

THIS BLU-RAY EDITION CONTAINS:
    - Brand new transfer of the film in glorious High Definition (1080p)
    - 4 panel reversible sleeve options with original and newly commissioned artwork
    - Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
    - Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by critic and author Kim Newman.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    - Audio commentary with The Funhouse S/FX wizard Craig Reardon and Jeffrey Reddick (creator of The Final Destination series)
    - Audio commentary with producer Derek Power and genre scholar Howard S. Berger
    - Audio commentary with Justin Kerswell, author of ‘Teenage Wasteland’ and host of the slasher cinema website Hysteria Lives, and author Calum Waddell
    - Stuck in the Funhouse with director Tobe Hooper
    - Carnage at the Carnival: Tobe Hooper Remembers ‘The Funhouse’
    - Miles of Mayhem: Acting in Tobe’s Funhouse with star Miles Chapin
    - A Trilogy of Terror: The Make-up Madness of Craig Reardon, the S/FX wizard recollects his collaborations with Tobe Hooper; ‘Eaten Alive’, ‘Poltergeist’ and ‘The Funhouse’
    - Master Class of Horror: Mick Garris, the director of Sleepwalkers and Stephen King's The Shining reflects on the crimson-covered career of his longtime colleague Tobe Hooper
    - Live Q&A with Tobe Hooper from San Francisco
    - Never before seen behind the scenes photographs from the collection of Craig Reardon

Blu-ray only
    English subtitles for the hard of hearing
    Running time 95 mins
    Region ABC
    RRP £27.99
    Release date 18th July 2011
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    - Audio Commentary with star Caroline Munro, DVD World editor Allan Bryce and author and critic Calum Waddell
    Interesting that they're not crediting Bryce as the editor of Dark Side.

Gee, why not? Why wouldn't they want to do that? Is there possibly something to hide there? Like, oh, I don't know.... RAMPANT FUCKING PLAGERISM?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I could say a LOT, but I'm pretty much over expending valuable breath on these scumbags (and their latter day new "associates"; nice to see a familiar name* "palled" up with the douches). I think that credit speaks for itself as to the integrity of ALL involved and concerned. 'nuff said.

* probably why said same "name" quietly "unfriended" me on Facebook recently. Oh well, his loss not mine...
    Last edited by Mike T; 05-03-2011 at 11:11 AM.

I'm more or less gonna leave it at this - it's both surprising and disappointing that certain parties would want to employ and/or work alongside someone who intentionally and knowingly not only harmed but downright stole from members of the very fanbase this release would cater to.

I have no beef with Arrow, never have and never will, I've praised their releases when they did a good job and rightfully called them out on a few gaffs. Review wise I've always treated their releases as I have any other studios and will continue to do so. HOWEVER, this is disappointing to me.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

FUNHOUSE looks cool. I don't know all of the details about some of the people mentioned, but I am pretty surprised that some people are invited to work on things given their past, and that other people would willingly contribute to a product involving such things.
    Last edited by Mark Tolch; 05-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.

No idea.

For the record, while I find Troy's involvement puzzling (though obviously he has the right to contribute wherever he sees fit), what I find more puzzling is the involvement of Bryce himself.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yeah, that's what i was saying about people being invited...like, if you were putting out a disc and you had potential contributors, and one of them turned out to be, say, a screaming plagiarist, not saying that's the case here, but if that were the case...you would probably want to not have them involved....i would think.

Oh, and the only reason that i mentioned AVM in the first place is because of the lengthy Dark Side thread that was over there.

Here's my honest feedback on stuff: some years ago someone put one of Arrow's (now) contractors in touch with me and, like many other people, I got fleeced. I've not forgiven him for that nor am I prepared to put it behind me. When someone collaborates with you, and puts forward the allusion of friendship, then stabs you in the back it's not a nice feeling.

As for Arrow themselves: TBH, I've never bought a solitary title from their range. a) They insist on doing standards conversions ports of NTSC material for their DVDs, which annoys me; b) just about every title they've put out thus far has been trumped by a successive release from someone else with better quality control; and c) they made it abundantly clear to me in an email exchange a while back that they're largely in it (the cult label) for the money and couldn't give two figs about the manner in which their forums are run, or the contempt one of their contractors treats their fanbase with (I got one of those lovely emails, when I raised a serious complaint about such, that stated "the views and opinions of third parties" (ie: public relations firms and contractors) "do not represent those of Arrow themself". In other words, as those people don't directly work for us (even though we pay them), stiff cheddar to your concerns.

PS: Don't be surprised if that lengthy Dark Side thread up and "disappears" one day soon - people have shown where their loyalties lie of late, and that's wherever their bellies guide them.

PPS: Though it's nice to see what's being done on the cult movie front for the UK market (not sure how a major like Universal will take to one of their titles being made available for export on an All Region Blu-ray), from where I stand and as far as I'm concerned they can ALL (that's everyone involved) "eat it with an oversized fork".
    Last edited by Mike T; 05-03-2011 at 12:57 PM.