Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COMBAT SHOCK (Buddy Giovinazzo, 1986) - from Severin Films in 2018!

COMBAT SHOCK (Buddy Giovinazzo, 1986) - from Severin Films in 2018!

From my Cinema Arcana FB Page:

“I go back there every night…” Add another excellent title to Severin Films’ 2018 roster – the much-requested Blu-Ray premiere of Buddy Giovinazzo’s legendary gut-punch, COMBAT SHOCK (1986)! Living in squalor since returning from a ‘Nam POW camp, damaged vet Frankie Dunlan wanders through his bleak existence, day after day, night after night. Spurred by his nagging wife and an endlessly-crying, Agent Orange-affected baby, he continues to hope for the means to turn things around, but the streets of New York only offer junkies, child prostitutes and worse, and eventually Frankie’s desperation leads him to a startling moment of clarity.

Even more relevant today than it was three decades ago, Giovinazzo’s nihilistic peek at the post-war breakdown of the American soldier remains a desolate, harrowing, nightmarish ride, just as it should. Filled with unforgettable sights—coat hanger fixes, brutal beatings, and that oven...—COMBAT SHOCK is unquestionably a depressing ride, but an extremely well-crafted one; you feel these characters and their situations, and it ain’t pleasant. Filmed as AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, the title was ultimately acquired by Troma, who added stock war footage to its opening and deleted some character beats and backstory to shorten the runtime for their general release. And while the company eventually issued an intact special edition in 2009, their DVD set still utilized older tape masters, which leads us to Severin’s upcoming Blu-Ray.

While it’s a little early for a specs announcement, you can pretty much guarantee the company will be performing a new restoration from its uncut elements—the first new scan the title’s seen in decades— and Giovinazzo himself has indicated the film’s wonderful synth soundtrack will also be included. As for extras, Severin co-founder David Gregory promises, “an embarrassment of riches.” Watch this space for further details!

© Bruce Holecheck, 2018

The extras from the last Troma DVD was fantastic. Looking forward to what Severin brings to the table.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

HELL YEAH!!!
    Last edited by Keeth; 05-02-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Funny. I was considering making a Combat Shock banner yesterday but realized I already had!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

very nice!

really liking Severin and Vinegar Syndrome right now

https://www.facebook.com/severinfilm...type=3&theater

I hope they are working on their site so it doesn't crash...

I wonder what's in the contract that limits this & doesn't allow for a standard release?

Full press release:

Press Release
    For Immediate Release
    June 21st, 2018

UNCUT. UNCENSORED. UNCOMPROMISING.
    The Ultimate Edition Of Buddy Giovinazzo’s Landmark ‘80s Masterwork

On June 22nd, Severin Films is releasing the definitive edition of Buddy Giovinazzo’s infamous and unforgettable COMBAT SHOCK in a deluxe package, limited to only 2000 units! In addition to a new scan from the internegative, with shot by shot color correction supervised by Buddy himself, this package is overflowing with exclusive additional content! This release is only available from the Severin webstore, and no more will be manufactured beyond this Limited, individually numbered and signed 2000 units. The package includes a bonus CD of the first ever release of the soundtrack, a 96 perfect bound book -- The American Nightmares Scrapbook, with a shooting diary, the original script, storyboards, rare stills and more -- plus each copy comes with a few unique frames from the actual workprint used to edit the film.

In 1984, underground audiences began to discover AMERICAN NIGHTMARES, a shockingly grim no-budget feature from Staten Island, NY-based writer/producer/editor/director Buddy Giovinazzo. Cut by 8 minutes and released under the title COMBAT SHOCK, it became one of the essential cult films of the decade. It has been called “relentless” (The New York Times), “visceral” (Montreal Gazette) and “legendary” (DVD Talk). Over 30 years later, it remains one of the most brutally relevant indie film experiences of our time. Severin Films proudly presents this epic limited edition of Giovinazzo’s “outsider art of the first order… an authentic nightmare vision of a man’s downward spiral in a total sewer of a city” (Birth Movies Death), now featuring a new 2k scan supervised by the director, new commentaries and interviews, never-before-seen early shorts, the original soundtrack, and more! Each disc comes in an individually numbered slipcase signed by Buddy Giovinazzo. The whole package also comes with a collectible book, featuring 96 pages of Buddy G's Shoot Diary Illustrated With Rare Stills, Storyboards & More!

COMBAT SHOCK will be available at midnight tonight at www.severin-films.com, coinciding with the launch of the Severin half year sale. The entire Severin catalogue catalogue (2018 releases, bundles and merch excluded) is 50% off for the weekend.

Special Features:

American Nightmares Director's Cut (new 4k scan from 35mm Inter-negative with 2k inserts from the Director's personal 16mm answer print. Mono audio remastered from original mag tracks. New color correction supervised by Director Buddy Giovinazzo)

Audio Commentary With Writer / Producer / Director Buddy Giovinazzo, Actor / Composer Rick Giovinazzo and Special Makeup Effects Artist Ed Varuolo

The Brothers G - Interview with Buddy & Rick Giovinazzo

Nightmare Effects - Interview with Special Makeup Effects Artist Ed Varuolo

Combat Shots - Interview with Director of Photography Stella Varveris

Playing Paco - Interview with Actor Mitch Maglio

Mike the Junkie Memories - Interview with Actor Michael Tierno

American Deep Red - Interview with Artist / Critic Stephen Bissette

Shock Xpression - Interview with International Film Journalist Alan Jones

Out-takes and Tests

Post Traumatic - An American Nightmare Featurette

Hellscapes - Locations Then And Now

Buddy Giovinazzo and Jörg Buttgereit at 2009 Berlin Film Festival

Combat Shock Trailer

16MM Short Films:
    Mr. Robbie: Maniac II Promo (New 2k scan from Answer Print)
    Audio Commentary With Director Buddy Giovinazzo and Composer Rick Giovinazzo
    Out-takes
    Jonathan Of The Night Promo (New 2k Scan from Work Print)
    The Lobotomy 16mm Version
    Leave This World (Music Video) (New 2k scan from Answer Print)
    A Christmas Album

8MM Short Films:
    The Lobotomy 8mm Version
    A Christmas Album
    More Than A Mouthful
    Paranoiac
    Maniac Drummer

Bonus Disc: Soundtrack CD (First ever release of the score, newly mastered from recently discovered original 1/4" Tapes)

Name:  C-_Users_ian_Desktop_01.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  C-_Users_ian_Desktop_02.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  C-_Users_ian_Desktop_03.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  C-_Users_ian_Desktop_04.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  05.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  17.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I just watched the trailer. The short films look interesting. I thought I still had the Troma dvd but I can't find it. Wanted to take a look as I haven't seen the film in a really long time. I wanted that 2nd dvd release but never got around to buying it so I'm psyched for this release. Sure hope Severin's site runs properly & it isn't a pain to order tomorrow!