Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn - HBO's Watchmen Series

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post

They're just trying to save face instead of disclosing the poor ratings and viewer reception.
    I haven't seen it so I have no dog in this race but I've seen a lot more people saying good things about it than bad.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

TV Ratings: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Is a Word-of-Mouth Hit

Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    You may have noticed on your Twitter feeds Sunday nights that “Watchmen” appears to be popular. Yet the innovative, critically praised HBO drama series is an actual hit, not merely a zeitgeist talker. Through its seven episodes so far, the show, created and executive produced by Damon Lindelof, is drawing an average of 7.1 million viewers across HBO’s linear channels and streaming platforms. According to HBO’s tallies, “Watchmen” is premium cable’s most popular new series of 2019, and HBO’s most-watched new series since “Big Little Lies.”

While “Watchmen” is no “Game of Thrones” — as we knew, we would never see its like again — its linear ratings are perfectly fine for a cable show in the Peak TV era. On Sunday night, Episode 7, “An Almost Religious Awe,” drew 779,000 viewers in Nielsen’s Live+Same Day ratings, the show’s highest numbers since the premiere (799,000 viewers). Across HBO platforms Sunday, that number grew to 1.2 million viewers.

According to HBO, the Sunday night premiere ratings for “Watchmen” account for only a little more than 10% of the show’s audience; the viewership for the series’ first episode stands at 9.6 million total viewers. As word of mouth builds before the Dec. 15 season finale — HBO2 will be marathoning the show this Sunday and next Sunday, and the whole season on Dec. 21 and Jan. 1 — that number will only grow.
    Lindelof never planned nor wanted a second season, something he has said all along from the very beginning.

So, Alex, you can continue to delude yourself with whatever fairy tales you need to concoct. What you cannot do, however, is to remove Watchmen from all of the 2019 year-end lists of best TV series. Don't believe me? Go look. I'll wait.
    Last edited by Quot; 01-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.

If you like it, fine. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but the words of critics 99% of the time are completely worthless because they can be bought, can owe a favor, and in recent times have an agenda.

The Punisher TV show has a 63%. Lukewarm reception. Meanwhile it's an awesome show. Surely, the critics can't haven an agenda, right? That's just conspiracy theory nonsense.

Joker. 69% on RT. Meanwhile it's the highest grossing R rated film in history. Damn good movie.

Bringing up the critics to back up an opinion is asinine. It's like bringing up Roger Ebert's opinion and using that to say Blue Velvet, I Spit On Your Grave, The Howling, and The Beyond all suck. Those movies don't suck, Roger Ebert does.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Well. Alex, even though we don't see eye-to-eye on things, I can truthfully say that, at the very least, I appreciate your honesty.

I'm not a fan of Lindelof or the milking of this franchise, but I've heard nothing but good things about this show from fans and critics.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

It's good. I enjoyed it.

i have a free weekend of HBO right now so i decided to give this a try after watching season 3 of The Deuce, which i enjoyed except for the Blondie music at the end, did not help the hokey vibe from that bit.

anyway, never read the comics and maybe saw about an hour of the Watchmen movie so i have nothing really to compare it to but i'm enjoying it. about to start episode 5.

fun seeing Louis Gossett Jr. in something

Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    i have a free weekend of HBO right now so i decided to give this a try after watching season 3 of The Deuce, which i enjoyed except for the Blondie music at the end, did not help the hokey vibe from that bit.

anyway, never read the comics and maybe saw about an hour of the Watchmen movie so i have nothing really to compare it to but i'm enjoying it. about to start episode 5.

fun seeing Louis Gossett Jr. in something
    Cool. Episodes 5-8 are the definite high points of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    If you like it, fine. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but the words of critics 99% of the time are completely worthless because they can be bought, can owe a favor, and in recent times have an agenda.

The Punisher TV show has a 63%. Lukewarm reception. Meanwhile it's an awesome show. Surely, the critics can't haven an agenda, right? That's just conspiracy theory nonsense.

Joker. 69% on RT. Meanwhile it's the highest grossing R rated film in history. Damn good movie.

Bringing up the critics to back up an opinion is asinine. It's like bringing up Roger Ebert's opinion and using that to say Blue Velvet, I Spit On Your Grave, The Howling, and The Beyond all suck. Those movies don't suck, Roger Ebert does.
    Wow, thanks for the enlightening post. And to think I used to believe that film was a completely subjective medium.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Using the opinions of critics to justify your own is for charlatans.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.