Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn - HBO's Watchmen Series

I think it is excellent, it captures the complex, paranoid mystery plot of the original and the overt politics but ambiguity of the comic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    I think it's just bad writing and trying to pander.
    Rorschach's journal was leaked to a far right underground newspaper so those who believe/know the squid attack was a hoax and form a resistance inspired by him are far right. Moore intended Rorschach to be a critique of the vigilante superhero as fascist and has said so numerous times. Hell the entire point of the comic was to critique the figure of the superhero, obviously.

Notably all those who are vocally hating this series have a political ax to grind, including those commenting in this thread.

Use to be glad that this was a place I could come and not to hear the tiresome US Culture War rants infecting every corner of the net these days but you and Scott just can't keep your mouths shut and keep going on mini-rants throughout the forum. Too bad, I think my time here is done.
    Last edited by Randy G; 11-19-2019 at 10:51 PM.

It's also possible that people just don't like another Lindelof trainwreck.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

This is a really wierd phenomenon. I think it's new and I'm interested. Brooklyn has a rotten tomatoes critics score in the high 90s while the user score is down in the 40s. Alita on the other hand is the polar opposite. I think Fight Club was the first film I heard about having a politically aligned fan base but I guess that film was asking for it (love Fight Club btw but it's an obviously risky film). The idea that the fan base of a film or tv show is politically aligned is... I don't know what... but it can't be a good thing.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    I think it is excellent, it captures the complex, paranoid mystery plot of the original and the overt politics but ambiguity of the comic as well.
    Definitely going to marathon this.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

I don't understand people getting excited over something failing.

According to the wikipedia entry, the figures for the 5th episode are back up to 752,000. Not watched it myself as I'm taking a break from all subscriptions other than Prime as I was running out of stuff I wanted to see, but I'm not that bothered one way or another. I just tend to laugh when I see tv and movies blatantly pandering to woke culture (for want of a better phrase), it would take a lot to make me actually stop watching.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I don't understand people getting excited over something failing.
    Because fuck Lindelof. People aren't taking his bait this time. It's barely related to Watchmen to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Because fuck Lindelof. People aren't taking his bait this time. It's barely related to Watchmen to boot.
    I'm sorry, but who the hell is Lindelof? Did you send him a pitch for a Watchmen series and he rejected it or something?