Thread: RIP Tony Kinman

RIP Tony Kinman

Tony Kinman and the Secret History of Rock ’n’ Roll

Surely there are some folks here that are familiar with the musical legacy of Tony Kinman who sadly passed away from cancer earlier in the month. Tony, along with his brother Chip were the brains behind the punk outfit the Dils who made an appearance in Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke during the battle of the bands.

The brothers then went on to pioneer the Cowpunk genre with their second band Rank and File, my personal favorite of their projects.

They then took a musical left turn with the aid of drum machine with Blackbird.

Cowboy Nation then followed, taking the brothers into the way out west region of the country and western realm.

Virtually every album the man had a hand in is worth listening to. A brilliant musical mind who was ahead of his time in his approach, particularly with Rank and File.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Luna caliente (Vicente Aranda, 2009)

I'm not familiar with the later stuff but am definitely a fan of The Dils and Rank And File.

Didn't know he'd passed on - RIP!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-was-bad-word/

“When we started Rank and File, nobody was blending country with anything remotely hip or alternative,” according to Chip Kinman, who says the band he formed with his brother Tony after their punk group the Dils split in 1979 “helped define the alt-country movement and changed the definition of what we now call Americana.”

He explains, “Country music was a bad word in hip or alternative circles. It’s hard to imagine now that it wasn’t always possible to play country music, punk rock, and alternative music at the same time, but someone had to show how to do it, and that’s what we did. Now mind you, we didn’t call it country-punk, or cow-punk, or Americana. We called what we were doing country music, and we just let everyone else sort it out.” It’s a topic Kinman plans to expound on in an upcoming book of essays by X co-founder John Doe, More Fun in the New World.
    I think I'm going to need that book.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Luna caliente (Vicente Aranda, 2009)