Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown International Top 10

Is it fair to say most Crown stuff is of a similar quality and its only people's tastes that varies?

as really most titles on peoples lists seem interchangeable

My chauffeur I didn't think was any more or less bad than most other crown titles I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Is it fair to say most Crown stuff is of a similar quality and its only people's tastes that varies?

as really most titles on peoples lists seem interchangeable

My chauffeur I didn't think was any more or less bad than most other crown titles I've seen
    How do we genre film fans define quality? There are definitely some Crown films that are "better made" than others. There are some hidden gems in the Crown library depending on your tastes.

I didn't care for MY CHAUFFEUR and thought MY TUTOR was abysmal. Yet I find THE POM POM GIRLS to be one of the best of the genre.

I've watched a lot of Crown titles I haven't found anything that makes them feel like they are from the same studio. If after watching any of them you would have told me I was watching an AIP or Corman film, I wouldn't have questioned it.

I like their "darker" films, such as THE BABYSITTER, CINDY AND DONNA, and PICK-UP. Probably, most people think of silly beach-and-bikini comedies when they think of Crown International

I'm definitely leaning darker too. Pick-Up was a trip, Trip With The Teacher was better than I remembered and Malibu High is legend. It certainly doesn't hurt that VS did fairly deluxe editions of these. I feel like I need to check out the Babysitter movies next along with Cindy And Donna. Pom Pom Girls is one I plan to track down as well based on all the mentions here.

The sequel WEEKEND WITH THE BABYSITTER is more a remake than a sequel. In fact, I suspect that it afforded producer/star George E. Carey a further opportunity to "audition" young actresses for the title role. The original THE BABYSITTER is much better.

Now, I'll report some hearsay, although I have no idea if it's truthful or not: on the old IMDB message boards, someone who claimed to be the daughter of the WEEKEND WITH THE BABYSITTER female lead wrote that her mother told her that she was only 16 years old when she starred in WEEKEND WITH THE BABYSITTER. Of course, the actress (whose name escapes me) could have had fake I.D., which wouldn't have been a first-time occurrence in Hollywood. That posting on the IMDB was interesting, but I can't attest to its validity.

Watching The Hitchhikers with Misty Rowe right now. Not Crown International, but feels like it should be.

Good point, the Ferd Sebastian films do have a "Crown" kind of vibe to them.

Cindy And Donna was a revelation. It's like the cinematic version of a Chick tract.

For some reason, I really like that so much of what's introduced is left without any kind of resolution. It all just ends up playing out like a rancid slice of awful. Plus the soundtrack is littered with something that sounds like The Seeds on a bad trip.
    Last edited by ChicGandil; 07-10-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Mine, which is probably unsurprising (note that I've omitted all Euro pickups):

8) BLOOD MANIA
    7) THE HEARSE
    6) HORROR HIGH
    5) MALIBU HIGH
    4) CHAIN GANG WOMEN
    3) PICK UP
    2) TRIP WITH THE TEACHER
    1) BLUE MONEY
    alt 1) BEST FRIENDS
    alt 1) DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE

I still hope that there will be a book about Crown International someday. We've had enough books on Corman and AIP.