Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Underground: Blu-ray and DVD legends

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Last Q of the morning: has anyone else had problems with Blue Underground DVDs becoming brittle around the centre hole after a few years? I've had about three or four (maybe more) BU discs just crack, shatter or generally fall apart directly in the centre of the disc in the last few months. You take the disc out, pop it in and play it and then put it back in its case...only to have the centre ring bust. It only seems to occur with BU DVDs too -- haven't had this issue with any other disc. It's starting to piss me off, as I have to replace at least two BU discs now as the centre damage was so severe, when I pressed the discs lightly back into their clips, they split the protective layer of the playing surface.
    I had this happen with my copy of NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS, Mike. I haven't had any problems with any of their other discs though... at least, as yet.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I had this happen with my copy of NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS, Mike. I haven't had any problems with any of their other discs though... at least, as yet.
    Aha! So it wasn't just me afterall? Whilst I can't fault their transfers or packaging, I'm not sure quite what was up with the quality of the discs they used. Any damage/wear & tear I've had with any DVDs has always been with the BU discs and it always seems to be cracks, chips or splits from the centre-rinng. Tombs I had to replace (can't have them all and not have the original due to a knackered disc), as the crack spread to the playing surface -- and since all of the data that dictates how a disc plays in the middle...the old one stopped playing (or being recognised at all).

I seem to remember a few years ago people complaining about certain Anchor Bay discs 'rotting' and showing strange discolorations after a few years.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Don't get me wrong...the BU issue is nothing like that mythical "disc rot" (wtf? NEVER had that happen with a disc, EVER), but seems to be that over time the centre (clear) ring can become brittle and will shatter or break when being removed/returned from/to the centre clip in the Amaray case. I might just replace all the cases for ones with different centre clips as a preventative measure before I break any more...

This is beyond a normal wear and tear issue?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    This is beyond a normal wear and tear issue?
    I don't know? Is it? Some of the discs mentioned have only been in and out of their cases less than three or four times -- so you wouldn't expect them to shatter or crack under those circumstances. Succubus has only been out of its case twice, and the second time I put it back...chip, crack...busted centre-ring. I mean, if I was playing these things all the time like a CD I could understand it, but that's not the case.

I'd say that's definitely cause for concern then. Even CDs I've played hundreds of times don't suffer from that.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This is kinda cool:

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well, this is looking like it's going to be my Blu-ray release of the year! If anyone's seen Michael Felsher's Facebook page, they'll see that all of the HD interview footage has been frame at 2.35 to match the film. I thought that was neat little touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Well, this is looking like it's going to be my Blu-ray release of the year!
    Could not agree more,this video is just building the excitement.I wonder if Shriek show may also release a bluray of this,or has the rights dispute been sorted now?