Thread: Spirits of the Air, Gremlins of the Clouds

Spirits of the Air, Gremlins of the Clouds

Umbrella announced that they're doing a 2k restoration on this from the original 16mm negative.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098373/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

SPIRITS OF THE AIR, GREMLINS OF THE CLOUDS comes to Blu-ray in September, presented in a stunning 2K scan from the film's original 16mm negatives! - https://goo.gl/vxqC8p

SPECIAL FEATURES include...

- SPIRITS: Making a Post-Apocalypse Western featurette -

Plus more!

Name:  Dh49D1KU0AAHw1u.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  82.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  DkCHbLJU4AAG7Iz.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  40.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Holy shit! I asked Alex Proyas about the chances of this one getting a DVD release while he was in post-production on I, ROBOT (2004) and he said he'd love to get on that after wrapping his (then) current obligations. Needless to say I had long since given up any hope that I'd ever be able to replace my Japanese VHS but it looks that day is finally dawning! I'm very fond of this film and I love rubbing its existance into the face of anybody who calls THE CROW Proyas' debut feature. About goddamn time more people can easily check this out.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  30.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

That’s a classy package!

Got mine today! 9 days after shipping from Australia ain't bad!

How's it look?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It looks absolutely fantastic for a film shot on 16mm in the 1980ies. It's presented in 4:3 ratio as per the director's intention, with lots of gorgeous grain. There's a new 5.1 soundmix that Proyas calls a big upgrade as well as the orginal 2.0 mix for any purists who may prefer that. The above-mentioned Making a Post-Apocalypse Western featurette is actually about 23 minutes of behind the scenes footage from the initial 2 weeks of principal photography as well as the effects shoot they did sometime later, despite some well-documented weather issues. The commentary by Proyas is very informative but occasionally feels like he's reading out notes he's prepared. Excepting maybe a selection of deleted scenes (a scene with a giant mutant cockroach is present in the featurette and mentioned in the commentary but nowhere else to be found), there is really nothing more you could ask of a long-overdue release such as this.